02 Base for my son

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Any pictures or thoughts on how you got this bad boy installed. Looks great.
It installs like a normal radio and the screen goes on last. You can adjust screen up down left or right and I had to bring it up left and tilted in on left side so the shifter wouldn’t contact the screen in park. I had no idea the screen was going to be that big but I really like it. A little bright at night even after I dim it down. But it is loud and clear.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did look up that radio and saw it was set up for single din radio. Sharp looking radio. I already made the "upgrade" to a double din set up. Wonder if a similar radio exists for a double din setup? Hmmmmmm

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I did look up that radio and saw it was set up for single din radio. Sharp looking radio. I already made the "upgrade" to a double din set up. Wonder if a similar radio exists for a double din setup? Hmmmmmm
I was going to put a double din in this 02 and I bought a new dash bezel that was suppose to be for an 03 which would have allowed me to do the double din but when it arrived it was for an 02 so that didn’t work out. So I just decided to try this radio and it worked out. The 02 is like a din and a half size and hacking up the bezel didn’t look right. At least now it’s all unmolested and I can always go back.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Now for the 02. Week before last on Thursday I was driving home from work at 11:30pm and while I was accelerating from a stop light, under normal throttle, at about 45MPH I heard a loud “bang” and the engine just revved. Like there was no connection between engine and transmission. I thought at first the chain broke in the transfer case. Coasted to the shoulder and assessed the situation. Good oil pressure, engine temp, trans temp but no gears forward or reverse. Looked underneath and no leaks or signs of damage at all. Checked atf and level was good and didn’t see any glitter on stick.
So here it is 11:30 at night and I’m on a dark desolate road trying to figure out who I’m gonna call. Ended up calling the guy at work to give me a ride home. Called for a tow and they told me $240 to go 6 miles! I told him to pound sand and rented a U-Haul trailer the next day for $62. Wasn’t fun getting truck on trailer with a come-a-long but I did it. Brought the truck to work and dropped it because I have another vehicle at home I’m workin go on that I’ll show in a minute.
Still need to investigate further at a later date but the parking pin still holds so I don’t think it’s in the transfer case. Something exploded inside the trans. I’ve had transmissions slip, shutter or lose one gear at a time but I’ve never had this happen outside of the drag strip. I’ll update as I know more.
IMG_4102.jpeg
IMG_4103.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
The other vehicle I’m working on is an 03 S-10 ZR2 I bought for my other son Josh. If needs a cat and some TLC, it’s been sitting for a few years and has some rust which is typical for these but it’s not awful. He will probably destroy this one anyway so I’m just getting him driving for now.
IMG_3901.jpeg
IMG_3898.jpeg
IMG_3903.jpeg
IMG_3899.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
September has been a crazy month. Jack’s graduation was the only good part of the month.
Some of you may remember me mentioning the time back in 05 when I was burned really bad, some may not. I was set on fire when a truck I was working on backfired and blew gas and fire on me.
IMG_4409.jpeg

I mention this because about 8 months after that I was at work fixing an electric window motor on a vehicle and cut my thumb and finger pretty good and had to get stitches. They couldn’t get me numb, they gave me shots in my cuts about 10 times and then tried a different medicine at the base of my finger and thumb but it didn’t work for some reason. I just had them stitch me up without being numb and they even had to cut my thumbnail off to do it.
I thought maybe that was because my hands were burnt so bad to get skin graphs that there was nerve damage or something. Well, I went in to get a vasectomy and I gotta tell ya, that was not a good experience. I got the shot no problem. Wait a couple minutes for it to numb up and the doctor starts digging. WOW!!!! He says you can still feel that? OH YEAH! So he shoots me with a couple more shots. Now this is suppose to be a non evasive, no stitch procedure where they pull the tube out the hole that the numbing medication went in, make a cut and cauterize the tubing then push it back in. Simple right? Not for me.
Doctor starts again and I can feel him prying around inside my coin purse and I’m squirming and he asked, “you can still feel that?” Yep. He said I shouldn’t. So he calls for the nurse and has her get him more medication and tells me he’s never had to give this much to anyone. Shoots me up once again and waits a few minutes. Touched me down there and asks if I can feel it. No, I didn’t feel that. So he proceeds. Soon as he gets in there it feels like someone is pulling on my guts and yanking them down. It’s the only way I can describe it. Doctor says he don’t know what he should do. I said just do it, I’m here and we’re this far. So he did and it was horrible. He ended up having to cut me and then put 3 stitches in. Once that was over I let out a sigh or relief and said that sucked. His reply, that sides done now we have to do the left. OMG! I was so close to telling him forget it, I’m done. But I struggled thru it in pain and discomfort the entire process. I’ll never forget that feeling. Not recommended.
So that took place 9/13 which also happened to be Friday the 13th. The week before I went to dentist because I broke a tooth and it got infected. They told me I had to go to an oral surgeon to have the tooth pulled. It’s was a wisdom tooth so they said might as well get them all pulled. So I had to go to my sons graduation with an infected and throbbing tooth and my man purse stitched up and still sore.

Get back from Texas and I get in to oral surgeon the next Tuesday. I went thru the same thing, they couldn’t get me numb and the doctor said he can’t do it with me being in so much pain while he’s digging at it. I told him there’s no way I’m leaving without at least getting the one out because he’s already been digging at it, prying at it and it’ll be even worse when the medication wears off. My cheek and lips were numb but anytime he would pry or pull I could feel like an electrical shock from the nerve. I just grabbed the arms of the chair and said GO! He was apologizing while pulling it, “I’m sorry James, I almost got it. Breathe thru your nose. Hang in there. Don’t kill me.” Hahaha. Then only put one stitch in because he said I experienced enough for one day.

I have no idea why I don’t get numb. It all started after I got burned. I’m gonna be put under when I go for the other wisdom teeth.
6 days later I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and I was on fire itching from it. Come to find out the side effects from that antibiotic is rash 7 days later and collapsed lung. I got the rash in 6 days and was short of breath and was told to discontinue antibiotic, was given steroids and told go directly to ER if breathing got worse.
IMG_4078.jpeg

Thankfully all that is behind me and now I’m looking forward to going into management and not working all this overtime come November 4th.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
September has been a crazy month. Jack’s graduation was the only good part of the month.
Some of you may remember me mentioning the time back in 05 when I was burned really bad, some may not. I was set on fire when a truck I was working on backfired and blew gas and fire on me.
View attachment 440825

I mention this because about 8 months after that I was at work fixing an electric window motor on a vehicle and cut my thumb and finger pretty good and had to get stitches. They couldn’t get me numb, they gave me shots in my cuts about 10 times and then tried a different medicine at the base of my finger and thumb but it didn’t work for some reason. I just had them stitch me up without being numb and they even had to cut my thumbnail off to do it.
I thought maybe that was because my hands were burnt so bad to get skin graphs that there was nerve damage or something. Well, I went in to get a vasectomy and I gotta tell ya, that was not a good experience. I got the shot no problem. Wait a couple minutes for it to numb up and the doctor starts digging. WOW!!!! He says you can still feel that? OH YEAH! So he shoots me with a couple more shots. Now this is suppose to be a non evasive, no stitch procedure where they pull the tube out the hole that the numbing medication went in, make a cut and cauterize the tubing then push it back in. Simple right? Not for me.
Doctor starts again and I can feel him prying around inside my coin purse and I’m squirming and he asked, “you can still feel that?” Yep. He said I shouldn’t. So he calls for the nurse and has her get him more medication and tells me he’s never had to give this much to anyone. Shoots me up once again and waits a few minutes. Touched me down there and asks if I can feel it. No, I didn’t feel that. So he proceeds. Soon as he gets in there it feels like someone is pulling on my guts and yanking them down. It’s the only way I can describe it. Doctor says he don’t know what he should do. I said just do it, I’m here and we’re this far. So he did and it was horrible. He ended up having to cut me and then put 3 stitches in. Once that was over I let out a sigh or relief and said that sucked. His reply, that sides done now we have to do the left. OMG! I was so close to telling him forget it, I’m done. But I struggled thru it in pain and discomfort the entire process. I’ll never forget that feeling. Not recommended.
So that took place 9/13 which also happened to be Friday the 13th. The week before I went to dentist because I broke a tooth and it got infected. They told me I had to go to an oral surgeon to have the tooth pulled. It’s was a wisdom tooth so they said might as well get them all pulled. So I had to go to my sons graduation with an infected and throbbing tooth and my man purse stitched up and still sore.

Get back from Texas and I get in to oral surgeon the next Tuesday. I went thru the same thing, they couldn’t get me numb and the doctor said he can’t do it with me being in so much pain while he’s digging at it. I told him there’s no way I’m leaving without at least getting the one out because he’s already been digging at it, prying at it and it’ll be even worse when the medication wears off. My cheek and lips were numb but anytime he would pry or pull I could feel like an electrical shock from the nerve. I just grabbed the arms of the chair and said GO! He was apologizing while pulling it, “I’m sorry James, I almost got it. Breathe thru your nose. Hang in there. Don’t kill me.” Hahaha. Then only put one stitch in because he said I experienced enough for one day.

I have no idea why I don’t get numb. It all started after I got burned. I’m gonna be put under when I go for the other wisdom teeth.
6 days later I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and I was on fire itching from it. Come to find out the side effects from that antibiotic is rash 7 days later and collapsed lung. I got the rash in 6 days and was short of breath and was told to discontinue antibiotic, was given steroids and told go directly to ER if breathing got worse.
View attachment 440828

Thankfully all that is behind me and now I’m looking forward to going into management and not working all this overtime come November 4th.
Holy shīt man!! That’s some messed up stuff. Hope you’re feeling better and healed up quickly. God Bless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imolas54