03' Denali, rear u-joint squeaking.. what do I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wade

Reaction score
I am new to trucks. When I accelerate, coast, pretty much whatever... my rear uJoint has a sqeaking noise coming from it.

Do I lube it somewhere, somehow? Or replace it? I am new at all this. Thanks for any help you can toss at me. It squeaks louder under load, and less when i coast.

It squeaks in foward and reverse.

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some u-joints have grease zerts. I'm not sure if gm factory u-joints have zerts. I'd go ahead and replace the u-joint. Not an expensive or very difficult job.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is like the u-joint in my Tahoe it is very simple. If it is the stock u-joint you will have to heat it up until the glue pops like a zit out the side and then just take a socket and knock it out. If it has the clips just pop the clip out and knock the u-joint out.

OP
OP
W

wade

Reaction score
So it is common when these go bad they make a squeaking sound while driving?

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it is common when these go bad they make a squeaking sound while driving?

Yep...I've had to replace them on my c1500 and my f150. The GM ones you do have to heat to remove. A ball joint press work great also. You can borrow one from the auto part stores that loan tools.

04 TAHOE

Reaction score
I would replace it soon though, you DON'T want it to go out doing 75 on the highway. Could be ugly!

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The squeak was weird to me as U joints in other trucks I had clunked and vibrated but mine started squesking and when I pulled them out they were seized. Change em soon man

Tribalbreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just did all 4 on the nali... i had the same problem... squeaked under load but very little while coasting... my rears where toast, and the fronts weren't too bad but i figure on an awd truck might as well do all 4. nice, quite and smooth now... good luck man, just don't let them wait to long. mine had zert fittings and i lubed them up, but it didn't help the squeak at all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts