'03 Rear Diff Drain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChazMan

Reaction score
How do I drain the rear diff oil?
I can't seem to find the drain plug anywhere. I did find what it appears to be a fill plug on the right/front side of the rear diff case. Both the center transfer case (since AWD) and the front diff case do have TWO plugs, drain & fill. But not the rear diff? I think this is my first car/truck with no drain plug on the rear axle diff (been driving since 1976...).

If I have to remove the rear diff cover to drain the old oil (has 75K miles), do I need to install a new gasket?

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have to remove the cover loosen all the bolts start at the bottom and work evenly to the top
then leave the top 2 in but loosen them just dont take them all the way out just to hold the over then put a flat head screw driver in between the cover and the diff and turn the screw driver to open the cover and it will drain out

then once its out remove the cover
scrap and clean the cover's edge and then the diffs edge RTV the cover and re assemble then fill thro the hole on the top
dont forget the limited slip additive

OP
OP
ChazMan

ChazMan

Reaction score
Hey clean95,
Thanks for such quick reply and detailed info.
This site is awesome and people like you make this place even better.
Thanks again.

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no worrys bro! good luck and its super easy
thats what we all are here for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts