03 Tahoe no crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PreacherF15C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm a 60 year old ex fighter pilot, retired airline pilot, but I've been building cars for over 40 years, and I owned a performance shop specializing in show quality restomods with 1000 HP for almost 15 years, even had some TV show spots. I know my way around a motor, but this has me pulling out what's left of my hair.
A friend gave me an 03 z71 Tahoe a few years ago, 320,000 miles on a 5.3. I decided to build an apocalypse truck, just for fun.
I rhinolined the entire exterior, upgraded the suspension, (bags) 6" lift on 35"s, custom leather interior, custom electronics,cameras, etc all shielded from emp.
Swapped in a fresh, tuned, LQ9 6.0 and tranny/transfer case from a Caddy, upgraded the cooling system, and added a root s/c
Turned out great, has a hotspot, wifi, inverters, even an onboard ham radio lol. Just purely for fun.

It had an intermittent crank problem with the 5.3, I ended up stripping the case off the starter relay so you can just squeeze it to start it, figuring it would be addressed as I upgraded.

But the damned thing persists. The only way it will start is to turn the key on, pop the hood, and squeeze (which of course jumps) the starter relay. Then it fires right up and runs like a scalded ass ape.
Everything is new, except the base wiring in the truck. The 5.3 was so tired I didn't save anything, it's all complete new LQ9 crate motor, which I bought accessories and all. New starter, solenoid, relay, etc.

WTF?? I'm hoping there's some secret that I am unaware of, because guys...I have gone through this damned thing from one end to the other, and it should be cranking like mad. There is no reason I can determine for this to be happening.

I'm too old for this *****.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm fresh out.

ThanksIMG_20240516_174005_518.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from the Centennial State!

There are a few videos on YouTube on how to easily bypass the starter relay, so if none of that's been tried I'd recommend it. If nothing else it would confirm that the wiring from the relay to the starter is good.

Eric O (this is kind of an early one for him) shows how to test the relay pins for function.

Edit: here's the starting circuit diagram for an '04 Tahoe -- bet yours is the same, but YMMV.

2004 Tahoe Starting Circuit Diagram.png

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With high mileage, the ignition switch tends to collect dirt in the internal lube grease, blocking the switch contacts from making a good connection. I have taken apart several bad ignition switches, and the contacts are usually quite dirty. Have you replaced the switch yet?

lyncht1967

Reaction score
as a test connect one end of a black jumper cable to batt negative and other end of black jumper cable to block somewhere and try cranking...if it starts you have a bad negative battery cable..common on these models. can do the same thing from batt pos to starter pos post and try cranking..if it starts you have a bad positive battery cable. also common issues on these models...i had the same issue a month ago and it was bad negative batt cable.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
as a test connect one end of a black jumper cable to batt negative and other end of black jumper cable to block somewhere and try cranking...if it starts you have a bad negative battery cable..common on these models. can do the same thing from batt pos to starter pos post and try cranking..if it starts you have a bad positive battery cable. also common issues on these models...i had the same issue a month ago and it was bad negative batt cable.

A voltage drop test could be done, which is what you're describing.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
yes, but I don't know if he has a meter or test light, I try to suggest simple tests for joe everybody

Based on the experience listed in the first post, I'd wager that he has one or both available to him. If he doesn't, there's not much cost involved with acquiring inexpensive tools for testing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emmdizzleforizzle

Latest posts