03 Tahoe oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtrite

Reaction score
I’m chasing an oil leak on my Tahoe. It drips about 2-4 drops every night. I thought it was the oil cooler block off plate but now I notice it on the rear oil pan bolts on both sides. It doesn’t look like it’s the pan, I pulled the inspection plate and it doesn’t look like it’s the real main seal. What do you guys think IMG_6074.jpeg

justirv

Reaction score
I’m chasing an oil leak on my Tahoe. It drips about 2-4 drops every night. I thought it was the oil cooler block off plate but now I notice it on the rear oil pan bolts on both sides. It doesn’t look like it’s the pan, I pulled the inspection plate and it doesn’t look like it’s the real main seal. What do you guys think View attachment 439669
That oil cooler block off plate is a horrible design, cheap warped metal that I've replaced gaskets on a few times... a billet replacement works well. Good to hear it doesn't appear to be the rear main seal. How many miles on your trans? If neither of these (apparently), it's possible it could be the valve covers at the rear (both of mine leaked simultaneously). Also the oil pressure sensor is up there. Mine's an '02 Z71 for reference.

OP
OP
B

Bigtrite

Reaction score
That oil cooler block off plate is a horrible design, cheap warped metal that I've replaced gaskets on a few times... a billet replacement works well. Good to hear it doesn't appear to be the rear main seal. How many miles on your trans? If neither of these (apparently), it's possible it could be the valve covers at the rear (both of mine leaked simultaneously). Also the oil pressure sensor is up there. Mine's an '02 Z71 for reference.
Mines an 03 z71 with 208k miles. I believe it’s still the original trans and everything. I’ll try using a mirror today and see if I can see the rear of the valve covers and that sensor. I’m also going to try and see further into the hole at the rear main seal. That’s my main concern. Anything else that would be leaking would be a lot cheaper to fix other than the rear main

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

justirv

Reaction score
I agree with @OR VietVet and @strutaeng with their approach. Reason I ask about your trans is the possibility (or probability) of it being near end of "normal" servicible life. If it is the RMS, I'd hate to fix that, then have the trans fail soon after. If it's a minor leak, maybe wait. Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambular127

Latest posts