04 keeps dying overnight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsims3996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 04 tahoe battery keeps going dead overnight. i can jump it off and its fine all day but the next morning its dead. the battery is a Optima redtop about 6 months old. the battery and the alternater test good. i've unhooked my system (amp) thinking that might have something to do with it but it still dies overnight. its beginning to piss me off, does anyone have ideas what it could be?

Last edited:

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say you unhook your system, are you talking about your stereo system or the whole truck?

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its sounds like your alt is bad.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you stereo is unhooked and it's still draining the battery, then something else is staying on in your truck to drain the battery! Try unhooking everything in the truck from the battery and see if the battery still drains to rule out just a bad battery!!
Do you have any aftermarket stuff added to your truck recently? GPS, CB, ect.?

OP
OP
bsims3996

bsims3996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have no other accesories , and the shop i took it to says nothing is wrong, the alternator test good so does the battery which is only 6 months old. its just crazy that i can jump it off, drive for 10 min, then the truck sits for 10-12 hours then it starts right up. but after that i drive for another 10 min and it sits overnight 8-10 hours and its dead.
could it be a need a bigger alternator

Last edited:
OP
OP
bsims3996

bsims3996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well after unhooking aftermarket amps and buying a high output alternator. finally went and bought a better multimeter since i my old one wasn't working right and i finally found a 1.98 draw, after pulling fuses found out it was the factory bose amp staying on. now the draw is .17. does anyone have any idea why its not turning off. the radio turns off when the door opens so shouldnt that turn the amp off as well. or does the power from the amp comes from a different source? just trying to get a idea before i start tracing wires down

theautoman21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well you might have a couple dead cells in the battery which sounds more likely becuase if your driveing it during the day it will stay charged meaning that your chargeing system is working adequitley so the battery will stay hot and then after it cvools down its dead so even if it checked good which it probably was checked while hot you might not get a good reading from it and under a load anyway hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365