04 Yukon rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dadwagon95

Reaction score
Me again.... So my original Yukon the 2004 GMC SLE 4x4 got a little bit of an issue that popped up with the rear end after I had wrapped it to 4500 RPMs in neutral messing with a Silverado in the same parking lot bouncing off the rev limiter and I dropped her on into drive... Needless to say the 35s did nothing and I mean absolutely nothing but hook and try to book it... Now my passenger side rear tire operates as it should, my driver side however feels like it's about to fall off and does not rotate with the passenger side.... Not sure if I should do the whole rear end or should I take the casing off the rear end and check the gears maybe the axle popped out?
We're just curious if I should go ahead and get a whole new rear end or pop the driver side out and see what's going on with it maybe the pin in the rear end sheared

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did what?!

I mean, sounds like you destroyed something. Pop the differential cover and SEE what you destroyed.

But likely the rear axle will require a major overhaul (read expensive!) A complete rear end from the junkyard swap matching the axle ratio would be probably more economical.

OP
OP
dadwagon95

dadwagon95

Reaction score
You did what?!

I mean, sounds like you destroyed something. Pop the differential cover and SEE what you destroyed.

But likely the rear axle will require a major overhaul (read expensive!) A complete rear end from the junkyard swap matching the axle ratio would be probably more economical.
Yeah I know I thought the same thing after I did it I was like why in the actual hell did I just drop that thing to drive

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... So my original Yukon the 2004 GMC SLE 4x4 got a little bit of an issue that popped up with the rear end after I had revved it to 4500RpM in neutral messing with a Silverado in the same parking lot bouncing off the rev limiter and I dropped her on into drive ...
So, YOU are the issue ...
Needless to say the 35s did nothing and I mean absolutely nothing but hook and try to book it ... Now my passenger side rear tire operates as it should, my driver side however feels like it's about to fall off and does not rotate with the passenger side ... Not sure if I should do the whole rear end or should I take the casing off the rear end and check the gears maybe the axle popped out?
We're just curious if I should go ahead and get a whole new rear end or pop the driver side out and see what's going on with it maybe the pin in the rear end sheared?[/QUOTE]You should pop the axle cover off and examine, then you'll know for sure if you need a whole new rear end or not.

If you get a whole new rear end, or a whole used rear end, you may want to invest in 4.10 or even 4.30 axle gears,
since you mentioned 35s.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Me again.... So my original Yukon the 2004 GMC SLE 4x4 got a little bit of an issue that popped up with the rear end after I had wrapped it to 4500 RPMs in neutral messing with a Silverado in the same parking lot bouncing off the rev limiter and I dropped her on into drive... Needless to say the 35s did nothing and I mean absolutely nothing but hook and try to book it... Now my passenger side rear tire operates as it should, my driver side however feels like it's about to fall off and does not rotate with the passenger side.... Not sure if I should do the whole rear end or should I take the casing off the rear end and check the gears maybe the axle popped out?
We're just curious if I should go ahead and get a whole new rear end or pop the driver side out and see what's going on with it maybe the pin in the rear end sheared
You may have sheared the driver axle probably be best to go rob one from the junkyard it’s worth pulling the cover to check it out but as stated if you plan to rebuild what you have I’d put some 4.10s or 4.56s in her and a tru track posi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RODER 60