09 escalade hybrid trans question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09escaladehybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is my first post so any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. I picked up an 09 Escalade hybrid with about 138k a year ago. It was from the south so no rust and looks really good. Since then, I replaced the tired 6.0L with a Jasper reman, OE cats and a few other parts. Everything has been really good since then until yesterday. I changed the oil and started the engine to check for any leaks. It threw a trans malfunction code 0700 which I cleared but couldn't get the car to move more than a few feet. It had engine rpm but the trans wasn't engaging, so I checked the trans oil. It showed nothing on the dipstick. Zero. That doesn't seem possible as there's no signs of oil leakage anywhere. Garage floor is dry and bottom of the vehicle is also, so here's my question. Where could 7 quarts of trans have gone without a trace? And probably most importantly, will the trans engage when I add the 7 quarts including filter? Or do I have a bad trans that will need to be replaced? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this is going to be a dumb question to ask, but I don't know your skill level, these trannys have a drain plug on the pan where most don't. is it possible you drained the tranny and and not the oil pan?

honest no clue where the tranny fluid went.. only thing I can think of is the tranny cooler and hybrid inverter cooler is in front of the radiator, one unit is split in half, maybe it's leaking up there? or if the tranny fluid is leaking into the hybrid coolent side? don't know if that's even possible as I haven't had my apart. if so, I think you'd see a mess and high coolent level in the center hybrid reservoir. only other thing would be if it's 4 wheel drive, maybe it found a way into the transfer case? again, I haven't had my transfer case off to really know if that's possible. if it is 4wd it's well passed time to change that fluid too if you haven't

the tranny itself holds like 15 quarts and without a torque converter like a normal tranny, when you pull that drain plug, it all comes out. so have a big pan or bucket ready. there's 2 filters, make sure you get both.

as for not showing in the dip stick, that isn't good, but it doesn't mean you're 7 quarts low forsure, all it's really telling you is you're atleast about 3q low. it could be anything from that to empty.

will it work after you add fluid, I don't know. definitely try it and see as finding a rebuild shop for these is almost impossible, unless you happen to be in Las Vegas, I don't know if any tranny rebuilder is even curious about this. good thing is they last a long time, so most used ones are still good.

definitely post up what you find. Hopefully you fill it back up and it works fine. tomorrow if I get a min I'll look up what all that fault code means.

OP
OP

09escaladehybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info and possibilities. This is my second oil change I've done since the engine swap. And after looking at a few videos, it's possible that I used the wrong drain plug. It's real easy to verify as the engine oil dipstick will show it's waaay over filled. And that would also explain the lack of a trans oil leak. I'm hesitant to say it on this forum, but I've been a Ford guy forever and this is my first GM vehicle so I just don't have the familiarity with it. That doesn't forgive my doing something so dumb, but at least it's an explanation for the problem. I'll check it when I get back in town but I just bet that's it. Thanks again for the response and places to look.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey, I knew a Ford tech when we were all kids that was changing oil in his friend's girl friends car and he forgot to drain the oil. just spun off the filter and added 5 more quarts. a week later and started running really badly from being over filled. silly things happen to all of us. I honestly hope that's what it is, as it could be an easy fix and probably didn't hurt anything if you didn't run it to long.

you definitely picked a interesting vehicle to make your first gm. these can be a bit picky and not many left. let us know how it goes.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the code P0700 is just a very generic code that says the transmission control module sent a request to the ecm to thru the check engine light on. you'll need a higher level scanner that can read all the other non standard fault codes to see what faults the tcm has.

the China version of the tech 2 is probably the best for these trucks, it's basically dealer level scanner for 300$ others will work thou too.

OP
OP

09escaladehybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey, I knew a Ford tech when we were all kids that was changing oil in his friend's girl friends car and he forgot to drain the oil. just spun off the filter and added 5 more quarts. a week later and started running really badly from being over filled. silly things happen to all of us. I honestly hope that's what it is, as it could be an easy fix and probably didn't hurt anything if you didn't run it to long.

you definitely picked a interesting vehicle to make your first gm. these can be a bit picky and not many left. let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the replies and troubleshooting tips. I had a friend stop by and check the engine oil since I'm out of town. Seemed like the quickest way to get some peace of mind by knowing the problem. And y'all were right. The engine oil level is way over filled per my friend so I'm guilty of doing something I've never done in hundreds of self oil changes! Still beating myself up over that one! The good news is that I doubt any harm was done to the trans. I only moved it a few feet before shutting things down. I see that Dexron VI 20W is what it calls for. Any recommendations on which brand to use? Here's a pic

Attachments

• 20230903_125649.jpg
    20230903_125649.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 5

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clean looking truck.

I've changed my tranny fluid twice, first time I went oem acdelco dex6 that it calls for. got the part number for the dealer and ordered it online to save some money. (it's a lot of fluid) the 2nd time since I had expected to do more long towing trips with it, I went with amsoil atf that they recommended. their specs showed it had a little better viscosity at 100deg c than normal dex 6. but it's even expensive and you can't go wrong with just putting the oem fluid in them.

filters, no one really carries, only ones available are OEM. I ordered mine thru rock auto. seem to be best price since you probably gotta order than anywaways. when looking them up, they are listing as the ones for the 4 speed auto and there's 2 of them in the pack. the normal trucks are 6 speed with 1 filter

OP
OP

09escaladehybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I picked up 2 gallons of Valvoline Dex VI. Checked a couple of sites for compatibility and it looks OK to use. I'll put 6 or 7 quarts in and check the level and continue filling from there. When I check the 09 hybrid trans fluid specs, I've seen 7 quarts as the capacity. But I'll go slow and not overfill it. Then I'll drain the engine oil, replace the filter and start over. Pretty expensive oil change! Oh well, that's just how things go somedays. Thanks again for your reply.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see that's what makes me wonder.. because the tranny fluid capacity of the 2ml70 hybrid is 14 quarts and believe me, all 14 quarts come flowing out at a high rate when you pull the drain plug, overflowing most people's drain pans. because there's no torque converter to trap floor. the 7 qt sounds like a standard non hybrid 6L80 transmission filter change capacity. I'm still not 100% sure that's what you did. give me a minute and I'll take a pic of the 2 drain plugs..

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this is the oil pan drain plug.. it's closer to the front of the truck.

PXL_20240901_221652092.jpg

this is the tranny pan drain plug.

PXL_20240901_221645448.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtdelta