09 escalade hybrid trans question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

09escaladehybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. Very helpful. I definitely drained the trans fluid. The plug was on a flat cover pan. And I recall the first and only time I did an oil change, it was on the side and upfront. Given that my friend checked the engine dipstick and said it was way over filled, I'm confident that's what I did. Still can't believe it but that's what I get for being in a hurry and not paying attention. Oh well... Thanks so much for the pics.

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. Very helpful. I definitely drained the trans fluid. The plug was on a flat cover pan. And I recall the first and only time I did an oil change, it was on the side and upfront. Given that my friend checked the engine dipstick and said it was way over filled, I'm confident that's what I did. Still can't believe it but that's what I get for being in a hurry and not paying attention. Oh well... Thanks so much for the pics.
This is a major bummer! We all make mistakes tho… please keep us posted if everything gets sorted when you complete the oil change and add back trans fluid.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I picked up 2 gallons of Valvoline Dex VI. Checked a couple of sites for compatibility and it looks OK to use. I'll put 6 or 7 quarts in and check the level and continue filling from there. When I check the 09 hybrid trans fluid specs, I've seen 7 quarts as the capacity. But I'll go slow and not overfill it. Then I'll drain the engine oil, replace the filter and start over. Pretty expensive oil change! Oh well, that's just how things go somedays. Thanks again for your reply.
You bought 8 quarts, and I think you are going to need 15-17 quarts. You should be able to buy what you need from your local parts store. Most use the Dex6 Valvoline Max-Life, as it meats all the specs, and is cheaper than the OEM fluid.

Before you start, since you already drained it... Its a good time to replace that tranny filter.. But I am hesitant to say that since I know on the 6L versions, the Y-Pipe gets in the way. I cant remember for sure on the 2L if thats the same story.

Little bit more info than you asked for... But..
Although I own a Rivian, I still have a soft spot for these Hybrid GMT's. I would like to find a low mileage 2012-2013.. But the 1.5 gens usually sell for stupid money. The 1st gens (2008-2010.5) were the years that had more problems thru of the Shared Technology program. The Hybrid system in the GMT was borrowed from Toyota, and then used by and GM and Chrysler/Cerberus Capital. For some reason, once Chrysler/Cerberus dropped out of the Hybrid in 2009 model year, for GM the 2010.5 and up became a very good vehicle, but the damage to the name was already done at that point.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pan will come off without dropping the exhaust but you need to remove the auxiliary tranny fluid pump to do it. it's only 4 bolts, but it's a bit intimidating if you're not used to working in stuff.

OP
OP

09escaladehybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
He said he was out of town, and was going to work on it when he got back, I seem to remember from a earlier post.
Yes, I'm out of town till next Monday. My plan was to change the oil and filter for the trip. That's when I learned I'd drained the trans oil vs the engine. We live off grid in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where the closest auto parts store is a two plus hour trip. I opted for our F150 to make the drive leaving the Escalade till I got back. With the help of this forum, I realized what I'd done and had a neighbor check the engine oil level. It's way over filled and the trans dipstick is dry which confirmed my really dumb mistake. Can anyone tell me where the trans oil filter is located? Usually they're inside the pan but I can't confirm online so thought I'd ask. Any help with this is appreciated. Thanks

OP
OP

09escaladehybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up another gallon so 12 quarts total on hand. That should get me close. I noticed the drain pan was pretty full, which should have been my first clue. I'll see where 12 takes me while checking as I add to get the right level. Does anyone know where the trans filter is located?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are going to be in the transmission pan. Apparently there are 2 of them.

Edit: That said, and you have already completed a drain and filll... If you dont feel comfortable in doing the tranny filter, dont do it. These 2ML70 transmissions are nearing impossible to find, and I have yet to find anyone thats willing to rebuild one.

OP
OP

09escaladehybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll leave the filters as-is. They were changed with the 6L Jasper reman swap so I'm sure they're fine with only 10k miles on them. With no trans fluid, I only moved the Escalade about 20' total. I'm telling myself I didn't do any damage with that. I'll know next Monday when I get back in town. Fingers crossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24