1996 Tahoe no crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got a 1996 Tahoe LS 5.7 4wd. Year ago truck started having intermittent starting issues. Finally, while driving it shut off for good. Since then, Ive installed the following:
New starter, ignition switch, starter relay(under hood), crank relay(side of the dash), checked all the fuses. Turn the key and nothing happens. I can only get it to start by either jumping the starter relay or ground the 10AMP crank fuse on the side of the dash and turn the key to run; fire right up. Ive checked the ground wires for corrosion and no issues there. Any other ideas? I appreciate yall's time.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you remove the positive battery terminal, and separate it into (2) pieces like the photo below THEN clean all metal surfaces thoroughly with a wire brush, including the battery side post.
When this terminal is compromised with corrosion, it can still power your ignition but without cranking as you describe. My '96 had the same symptoms and this fixed it.
Circle back and let us know how you make out.

1717441439401.png

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you remove the positive battery terminal, and separate it into (2) pieces like the photo below THEN clean all metal surfaces thoroughly with a wire brush, including the battery side post.
When this terminal is compromised with corrosion, it can still power your ignition but without cranking as you describe. My '96 had the same symptoms and this fixed it.

View attachment 429679
I hit mine with a mixture of baking soda and water, and a wire brush.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the wiring diagram from a 98 which shows the crank fuse. And here’s the diagram from 96 which doesn’t, so you might have to verify the wire colors.

Does it start in neutral? Are your gearshift lights solid (not flickering)?

If you have voltage at the 10A crank fuse, see what you’re getting at the transmission range switch connector (and at B9 on the starter relay) while cranking. It all grounds at G105 near the harmonic balancer.

1998 diagrams:

IMG_8805.jpeg

Starter.jpg
IMG_8760.JPG

1996 diagram:

IMG_8806.jpeg

Last edited:

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit mine with a mixture of baking soda and water, and a wire brush.

Here’s the wiring diagram from a 98 which shows the crank fuse. And here’s the diagram from 96 which doesn’t, so you might have to verify the wire colors.

If you have voltage at the 10A crank fuse, see what you’re getting at the transmission range switch connector (and at B9 on the starter relay) while cranking. It all grounds at G105 near the harmonic balancer.

1998 diagrams:

View attachment 429684

View attachment 429685
View attachment 429686

1996 diagram:

View attachment 429697

You guys are awesome. Just a helpful bunch of folks. Gotta love this place :D

OP
OP
O

Old T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

View attachment 429679
Yep that was the first thing I did. I’ve gone a step further and verified the neutral safety works.

OP
OP
O

Old T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got a 1996 Tahoe LS 5.7 4wd. Year ago truck started having intermittent starting issues. Finally, while driving it shut off for good. Since then, Ive installed the following:
New starter, ignition switch, starter relay(under hood), crank relay(side of the dash), checked all the fuses. Turn the key and nothing happens. I can only get it to start by either jumping the starter relay or ground the 10AMP crank fuse on the side of the dash and turn the key to run; fire right up. Ive checked the ground wires for corrosion and no issues there. Any other ideas? I appreciate yall's time.

1998 diagrams:

View attachment 429684

View attachment 429685
View attachment 429686

1996 diagram:

View attachment 429697
Thanks for the diagrams. I’ve checked the wiring. I don’t understand how I can turn the key to run and ground the 10 amp door panel crank fuse and the truck start.

1998 diagrams:

View attachment 429684

View attachment 429685
View attachment 429686

1996 diagram:

View attachment 429697
I’ve found if I turn the key to run and ground the crank fuse it will start.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Job!
Please Edit your title line, add "SOLVED" as this helps find solutions for others. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fireball17