2000 Silverado 1500 trans issues....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amroman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My gf's dad's truck has been slipping for some time. I don't have much experience with transmissions so I'm kinda lost here.

Roughly 180k on the trans and not too long ago it started to whine and slip pretty bad. After sitting for a couple days it will start and not whine for a while, shifts perfect for a little while then all of a sudden BAM, all gears slip. I've read it could be a oil pump failing or a clogged filter? Trying to either find and fix the problem or install a used one if we can find one with decent miles at the JY.

What other trucks or cars have a compatible 4L60E that will bolt right up? (if we decide to go that route)

JBTJ

Reaction score
My gf's dad's truck has been slipping for some time. I don't have much experience with transmissions so I'm kinda lost here.

Roughly 180k on the trans and not too long ago it started to whine and slip pretty bad. After sitting for a couple days it will start and not whine for a while, shifts perfect for a little while then all of a sudden BAM, all gears slip. I've read it could be a oil pump failing or a clogged filter? Trying to either find and fix the problem or install a used one if we can find one with decent miles at the JY.

What other trucks or cars have a compatible 4L60E that will bolt right up? (if we decide to go that route)

The whine that you hear is the transmission straving for fluid. You are low on ATF and the filter is propably plugged up.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I'd do is a normal trans service. Filter & fluid...than see how things go. Asses afterwards to determine whether or not replacement/rebuilding is needed.

Cameron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968