2001-2006 K2500 Ext/Crew Cab-6.0 Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that broken exhaust studs, regardless of their location, is not a dealbreaker because even if you find one without them being broken then they will just fail on you instead of the previous owner. I was hunting for another 03-06 Tahoe because I missed my old one and the prices of the clean ones very quickly had me discovering 2015+ vehicles for hardly any more thus my 2015 Denali purchase recently. Half the reason I haven't sold my '03 2500HD is that I know that I will never pay what someone wants if I ever want another clean one.

These are 20+ year old vehicles now you really need to adjust your parameters to either be willing to pay more or be willing to clean up a neglected but still nice truck. Hell, my truck got almost 2" of body lift just from replacing the cab mounts last year and I promise you mine is nicer than 97% of them on the road and that's just the tip of the iceberg for keeping it nice.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am willing to pay, more/asking price, if there is no rust AND they have records. It seems like if they do have records it is for work they just did to be able to sell it. That does not cut it with me. I did look at a recent 2006 Tahoe Z71 with 70k miles and it was nice. He advertised no scratches but did find a very noticeable scrape at the edge of the p/s rear wheel well and it had both front axle seals puking and a leaking oil drain plug from a recent oil change visit to Walmart, What really got me was no records at all and there had never been any fluid maintenance and the coolant was cruddy and the water pump leaked. I offered 9K. He was asking $15k. Since my finding scrape and telling him the maintenance problems and leaks and no records, he now has a pic of scrape, and admits the scrape in the ad and now has it listed as $18k or best offer.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am willing to pay, more/asking price, if there is no rust AND they have records. It seems like if they do have records it is for work they just did to be able to sell it. That does not cut it with me. I did look at a recent 2006 Tahoe Z71 with 70k miles and it was nice. He advertised no scratches but did find a very noticeable scrape at the edge of the p/s rear wheel well and it had both front axle seals puking and a leaking oil drain plug from a recent oil change visit to Walmart, What really got me was no records at all and there had never been any fluid maintenance and the coolant was cruddy and the water pump leaked. I offered 9K. He was asking $15k. Since my finding scrape and telling him the maintenance problems and leaks and no records, he now has a pic of scrape, and admits the scrape in the ad and now has it listed as $18k or best offer.
I know everyone has a different experience but my truck, as an example, the only service records it would have from the last decade is where I brought it to the dealership for Service A while my buddy actually did Service A+B+C+D+E+etc and the only actual paper records that will go to the next buyer are the receipts for parts necessary to get them warrantied such as my batteries, starter, etc.

I guess my perspective is that even if I get service records and they look good I am only going to really trust a part of the vehicle if I have inspected it more than skin deep or if I have replaced it. I find it incredibly satisfying to replace all the low hanging fruit when I get a new-to-me vehicle and it usually lets me get to know what I should expect to replace in the future.

I can't believe I bought this thing for $3500 in 2017 and then let it go after thousands in an 6.0 swap, full suspension, etc just because the parking situation was annoying. I do love my new 2015 but it doesn't quite scratch the itch the same way, just close.
IMG_3561.JPG 20170705_194023.jpg

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This black 2005 Z71 Tahoe, with 6k miles on it, went for $42k today, on B.A.T.

That's going to be a collector that purchased that. Or some wealthy individual that's planning on using that purchase to making an investment.

I've heard of folks buying classic vehicles and artwork and other stuff because the traditional investments now are paying peanuts. IDK, but wouldn't doubt it.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The same Tahoe went for $50k, at BAT, about 3-4 months ago and the buyer backed out of the sale and now it went for $8k less than back then.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, today I actually got to drive the 2004 K2500HD Silverado with the 6.0. The one d/s rear exhaust bolt was broken and had a kit on it. All other good. Drove out great and the interior and exterior are like new. Not a dent, not a tear and completely clean and shiny. Drove great with plenty of power. Then I drove it up on ramps at my house. I found leaks galore. The hydro-boost housing and all hoses leak, the oil cooler lines leak, the transmission cooler lines leak, the transfer case to transmission gasket leaks, the rear transfer case output seal leaks, the power steering pump housing leaks, valve cover gaskets leak and to top it all off, the tires are all worn down to the wear indicators. He had been asking $18k and was willing to sell to me for $17k and then I told him what I found and he said to make him an offer. I had already worked up tire pricing, fluids, seals/gaskets, hard parts and 15 hours labor at $80 an hour instead of double or more than that at the shops and the parts markup at the shops and I offered him $13,500. Absolutely no rust and he still has the stock air filter housing and plumbing. I told him I did not want to make him mad with the offer and that I would also talk to his son, the owner of the shop that I help out at sometimes. He said that was not enough and dreaded selling on CL or FB. I told him that I would sell it for him and post the ad and the pics and he could pay me to do that, whatever he felt was fair. He is gonna talk to his son and get back to me. Following are the pics I shot today:

?hash=a7809ba3b3668f6c71f655ecd5faa082.jpg 20240724_123233.jpg20240724_123239.jpg20240724_123246.jpg20240724_123312.jpg

Attachments

• 20240724_123223.jpg
    20240724_123223.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1