Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeTroubles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings,

I’ve got an ‘02 Chevy Tahoe that has a hydrologic lift to accommodate an electric scooter. I now need to find a safer way to transport my service dog. Kennel and or Crate isn’t an option. My bby is a rescue, and although it maybe best, I’m trying to find a better way.

My truck runs great w/the exception of struggling w/a minor water leak in my windshield that this forum has helped me with. I’m the second owner so idw throw her away to quickly…but I’m debating if I shld upgrade to a police package Tahoe. I had a ‘99 Tahoe limited and I unfortunately crash tested it myself and it passed. I’m going for safety all around for driver and passengers with cargo.

I recall being warned about transmission issues in newer models I think from 2011 fwd? Does anyone know which of these Tahoe’s have tranny issues? Apparently the police units have lots of “idle” time and that’s not good for the transmissions.

Also, anyone w/windshield leaks I’d appreciate the help. I’m on my second windshield and I’m hoping re-calibration will fix the prob. Sry I digressed.

So, my dog’s about 60lbs. I intend to go larger next time, as he helps me w/mobility. After countless hours online I realized there is no safe way to drive a service dog that won’t sit like an human. Many “safety” belts fail. So, I stumbled on the Atv community and someone pulled their seat out, then installed a floor of some type. This wld eliminate the issue of him being high up and becoming a definite projectile. I’m wondering if I can pull this off. My Chevy has a Lyft in it though so idk if the seat is actually safer to protect him from the wheelchair. Most of the time I’m not using the power scooter…but the heavy lift is where my 3rd row seat would be. That eliminates the mess of wet road filthy scooter.

As I age, my conditions can get worse, and I’m trying to accommodate my disability. Has anyone had any experience with the truck floor replacement kits? I cld eliminate the lift altogether, and hypothetically replace it with an impact crate, but, those aren’t rly safer. Plus he’s a rescue so anything that looks like a kennel/cell will stress him out. I found one brief article but, full disclosure ima female so I rly don’t get all the details. I am trying to think outside the box. At first I was going to just put a box or something where the feet would go, but those are crappy too. I can’t seem to find anything that’s well made at a decent price. N if I put some crap there w/o storage my truck can’t hold any luggage or anything. Any and all creative suggestions are appreciated. I figure if he’s on the floor and belted in w/a net partition I’ve done my best to keep him safe. We do lots of driving as I don’t rly want to or choose to fly much.

My last question is shld I look for a used Tahoe K-9 unit of some sort to just make this easier and safer for me as well. Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there really is not a whole lot of options with animals in moving vehicles, padded confined space is as best it will ever get.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall being warned about transmission issues in newer models I think from 2011 fwd?
Does anyone know which of these Tahoe’s have tranny issues? Apparently the police units have lots of “idle” time and that’s not good for the transmissions.
Police Pursuit Tahoes are RWD, Special Service Tahoes are 4WD (none are front wheel drive).
Both the 4L60E & the 6L80E each have their own issues, those actually deserve separate threads.
Best things to do for ANY vehicle equipped with 6L80E (MYC) are as follows:
1. disable Engine Half@$$ ASAP
2. have tcm retuned to limit slippage as much as reasonably possible, and only lock the Torque Converter Clutch in 5th & 6th
those two will extend the TCC's life; TCCs eventually wear out, taking out the rest of the 6L80E
3. replace the torque converter, preferably with a heavier-duty TCC; steps 1 & 2 should still be done of course.

However, regarding idle time, it is actually independently measured separate from the odometer (which I'll call the idle-ometer).
Someone here will tell you how to access each vehicle's idle-ometer reading.
Then divide the odometer's miles by the idle-ometer's hours for the vehicle's (lifetime?) Miles per Hour.
The higher that number, the better that makes the odometer look (highway miles are AWESOME) ...
unless the vehicle's (lifetime?) MpH is more than 15MpH over the highest posted speed limit in that state;
then I'd be suspicious that the idle-ometer had been reset too often, making the idle-ometer useless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YukonGold12