2002 Tahoe HID wierdness!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuuze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

I installed a set of DDM Tuning 5000k 35w HID kit for my low beams about a week ago along with Depo projector headlights. So far I really like how they light up the road!

The wierdness is with the vent controlls. Sometimes, not every time I start the engine then turn on lights. I notice both the fresh & recirc buttons light up at the same time! Tonight both fresh, recirc & rear defrost buttons light up at the same time! If I turn off the engine while leaving the headlights on and start the engine back up the 3 (fresh/recirc/defrost) lights turn off and back to normal.

I have the Hi4 mod, auto headlights bypassed and swapped out the all the dash lights to blue LED's. Blue LED's were done about a month ago and don't think this has affected it. I disconnected the ground for the Hi4 mod and still does it. I haven't re-enabled the auto headlight feature but thought I'd ask before doing so...

Has anyone come across this???

Thanks!

Mike

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go back and check all your soldering and connections in the ac controls.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
This is a first for me....no idea what happened. Hope you figure it out and I hope it's not a big deal.

The electrical systems on these trucks are a PITA if something quits working or gets screwed up....

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying you did it wrong or anything. I'm just saying go back and double check your work. Maybe you accidentally dragged some solder or didn't plug the connections all the way, hopefully something easy like that.

OP
OP
N

Nuuze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, it's very strange! I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the surge of power of the HID's ramping up. I wonder if a HID harness will help...?

I'll look over the LED's this weekend and re-enable the auto headlights to see if it helps. I'm just afraid the auto headlight feature will shorten th life of the bulbs since we park the truck in the garage so headlights come on everytime.

Last edited:

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relay harness isn't always necessary but never hurts to have one. I could be wrong but highly unlikely that your hids are the problem. I also don't think the auto headlight bypass is the problem either. You can disable the auto headlights by pushing the dome override button 4 times in 5 seconds, when disabled you'll hear a chime but it resets when you turn the truck off and would have to do it every time you start.

OP
OP
N

Nuuze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This only happens with the HID's once in a while when I turn them on. Never happens with the halogens...

IcebergSlim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same Issue

I'm having a similar issue as well. Going to see an electrian this week to correct the situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou