2003 Yukon SLT 5.3L Engine not Ready for emission test help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zmann96

Reaction score
I finally got the codes gone. I drove it 200 miles after the last time I cleared codes. I went for the inspection and the State computer said the system was not ready for emission test. I drove it again this morning and now have 315 miles. I found out my OBDWIZ computer software did this check. So it still isn't ready. I found a driving sequence that will clear it for the emission test. I just don't know where to do this, I can't drive 55mph on city streets, I can't or shouldn't slow down without braking from 55mph to 20mph on my highway that the people are doing 70 - 80 mph. Is there another way to make it ready for the test? It also said cold start engine turn on AC and rear defroster for 2.5 minutes then as soon as possible do the 5 minutes of 55 mph then down to 20mph and do that twice.

I really thought I could just put miles on the engine???

BTW there are no codesYukon Data Info.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like you need to have a qualified tech monitor oxygen sensor operation and fix as needed. Plus look at the evap system for leaks and operation.

OP
OP
Z

zmann96

Reaction score
Looks like you need to have a qualified tech monitor oxygen sensor operation and fix as needed. Plus look at the evap system for leaks and operation.
I did put in a new vapor charcoal canister and checked all that when i did it. I've done the evap leak check a bunch of times.

OP
OP
Z

zmann96

Reaction score
My question is, it's not coding after 314 miles so far and my Fuel trims came down form being pegged at 25% to almost normal. Will it eventually be ready for the emission test or does it have to go thru that crazy sequence?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is, it's not coding after 314 miles so far and my Fuel trims came down form being pegged at 25% to almost normal. Will it eventually be ready for the emission test or does it have to go thru that crazy sequence?
Keep driving, seriously... trying to meet all the ‘conditions’ isn’t going to happen on a few drive cycles. As long as no check engine light pops it will eventually pass those self tests. In NY you can have 1 (or 2, I forget now) monitors not ready and as long as no cel you are going to pass. Evap, iirc, takes the longest. I just did this with my fil 03 suzuki at the beginning of the summer. I drove that car a few miles every morning before work for 5-10 miles because I let the battery die and I had to go through all the monitors... pia

OP
OP
Z

zmann96

Reaction score
Keep driving, seriously... trying to meet all the ‘conditions’ isn’t going to happen on a few drive cycles. As long as no check engine light pops it will eventually pass those self tests. In NY you can have 1 (or 2, I forget now) monitors not ready and as long as no cel you are going to pass. Evap, iirc, takes the longest. I just did this with my fil 03 suzuki at the beginning of the summer. I drove that car a few miles every morning before work for 5-10 miles because I let the battery die and I had to go through all the monitors... pia
Thank you, I'll keep driving it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The EVAP takes forever and no there’s no way that I know of to do that stupid drive cycle safely unless you live way out in the country. Just keep driving and checking. Luckily due to COVID most states aren’t worrying about expired tags, at least they aren’t here.

OP
OP
Z

zmann96

Reaction score
The EVAP takes forever and no there’s no way that I know of to do that stupid drive cycle safely unless you live way out in the country. Just keep driving and checking. Luckily due to COVID most states aren’t worrying about expired tags, at least they aren’t here.
UGH! yeah when I read that crazy sequence I thought who can do that safely? OK, I'll keep driving and checking. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaintMiles

Latest posts