2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the hole saw. Drill your pilot with a standard drill first. Then you can use a piece of cutoff 1/4” bolt or round bar as a pilot.

That's an awesome idea! The pilot bit always drills the hole fine but then as the saw starts to jump around its breaks on pretty much the first bit of resistance.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor can legitimately weld beer cans together I've watched him it's impressive, IDK about aluminum foil that sounds extra fishy to me. I mostly want to learn TIG so I can do more precise and cleaner welds. I feel MIG or at least my skill level with this budget machine cannot make perfectly clean welds that don't glob up. Its very enjoyable to take scraps of metal and make them into something, at least to me it is.
I could burn cans together back when I tigged a lot. It's not that difficult really. You'll see when you get the hang of it. Been over 15 years since I picked up a tig torch and have forgotten most of it.

the aluminum foil, I have a hard time believing that...

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could burn cans together back when I tigged a lot. It's not that difficult really. You'll see when you get the hang of it. Been over 15 years since I picked up a tig torch and have forgotten most of it.

the aluminum foil, I have a hard time believing that...

I don't feel that any welding will be particularly hard to learn, it's just difficult to get started learning different techniques on your own. It's also expensive when you keep messing up material and burning through consumables. Not to mention very frustrating when you don't know why your welds look like bubble gum or why you keep melting through stuff.

I was trying to cut a deal with the welding school I'm going to and have them let me skip all the basic safety and shop etiquette crap and let me jump right into TIG or advanced MIG but they didn't like that idea. So I'll be stuck with a bunch of recent high school graduates :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchavez95

Latest posts