2004 Tahoe Parasitic Battery Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with sparky. Best way to eliminate the radio itself

OP
OP
F

Flicka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are other loads on that circuit besides the radio. Pull the radio, put the fuse back in and see if the vehicle still starts normally after overnight.
Thanks for the idea. I will try that approach. Any idea what else is on it?

OP
OP
F

Flicka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pulled the radio and put the fuse back in. The draw was low again. Plugged radio and fuse back in together and the draw was high again.

So guessing it is something internal with the radio unless the circuit goes through the radio and then to something else.

Any ideas before I take the radio to a repair shop?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know if you have a factory amp? I know you said you don't have an aftermarket one. The radio is usually what turns on the amp, so you could check the harness before you install the radio to see which wires have power, then again after installing it to see if there is another wire with power which would be the turn-on for the amp. It should only have power when the radio is on. If it powers on as soon as you plug in the radio, even with the radio off, there's your problem. There are work-arounds if that's the case.

OP
OP
F

Flicka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you know if you have a factory amp? I know you said you don't have an aftermarket one. The radio is usually what turns on the amp, so you could check the harness before you install the radio to see which wires have power, then again after installing it to see if there is another wire with power which would be the turn-on for the amp. It should only have power when the radio is on. If it powers on as soon as you plug in the radio, even with the radio off, there's your problem. There are work-arounds if that's the case.

So basically you are saying to find wire for amp and see if it has power after installing the radio even if radio is off? sorry for the question but I understand the concept but just not quite grasping what I need to check.

I did test for battery drain with amp fuse out and there was no difference with that fuse out. I put that fuse back in and pulled radio fuse then it dropped the draw.

Thanks for the help

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize there was an amp fuse but that probably eliminates the amp staying on. But yes, that was what I was saying. I thought maybe the amp was staying on all the time.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit the dome light override button to the left of the steering wheel by the headlight switch. My battery was going dead every other day, hit that button and it stopped, it stays charged for weeks now. Never did find a light on which is odd.

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can search for my post on this and you will see an uncanny resemblance. Mine was the RDO AMP fuse and replacing the amp fixed it.

OP
OP
F

Flicka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can search for my post on this and you will see an uncanny resemblance. Mine was the RDO AMP fuse and replacing the amp fixed it.
I need to take a look . My battery died when I put the radio fuse back in and left the radio unplugged. Looks like the amp is behind the glove box, so hopefully I can reach it by just dropping the glove box

OP
OP
F

Flicka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick update.

Pulled what I thought was amp in glove box, man it was a bear to get out. Turns out it is the xm radio box......saw mixed reviews of where amp is located.

So here are my readings.

Fuse out and it shows .75 amp draw
Radio plugged in with fuse, radio, xm radio 3.2 amps draw
Fuse in and xm radio in and it is 1.1

Car died with radio out and fuse in. Works all week if I leave the fuse out.

Just don't get how it can still die if radio is out and fuse is in but be completely fine when the fuse is just out.

I am struggling for ideas at this point. Concerned if I take the radio to be repaired I would still have an issue since battery still died with radio pulled and fuse in, just took longer.

What to try next?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts