2007 denali prone to continuous problems? Should I keep mine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rosko

Reaction score
Hoping I can get some responses here from people that own this vehicle, and maybe have more miles so they can give me an idea of what to expect.

Background: I owned a 2004 Yukon XL, I was starting to have a lot of electronic issues among other things I was replacing. Though it was paid off, it was starting to cost me quite a bit in repairs with little driving. I decided to purchase a 2007 yukon xl denali to replace it, hoping the electrical issues and other things might be worked out, or better in this model. Now I'm not so sure.

Vehicle: 2007 yukon xl denali with 82k miles.

I took the vehicle overnight to check everything out, the funny thing is that everything worked multiple times, perfectly, not one issue electronically or mechanically. I tested every switch/function 3-4 times to make sure there weren't issues, took the vehicle back the next day and made the purchase. On my way home, and the next evening, here are the problems that cropped up.

Problems

1. Driver power folding mirror grinding/not working (worked great for 24hrs)
2. Cruise control doesn’t always work. When the cruise will not “set”, I can tap the brakes or lightly tap the brake pedal left/right and it will begin working typically. Guessing it needs a new Stop Lamp Switch, P/N 25981009.
3. Intermittently, the ambient light sensor or something else (BCM?) does not recognize that it’s daytime. Sometimes it works properly, sometimes not. With any moderate amount of light it should change the interior lights much brighter, the nav/screens/dash lights should all be bright, and daytime running lights should activate. Instead, it leaves the headlights on, interior lights are not visible enough (can’t even really tell what gear you are in with normal sunglight, and navigation is black instead of white).
4. I ran the vehicle through a car wash, passenger light has fairly bad leak/still has water inside.

I've only had the vehicle a few days, purchased it last thursday, but I'm seriously considering just asking the dealer to take it back. I've already talked to them, and I think they are going to try to fix one or two issues. I really like the vehicle itself, the way it drives, power, overall condition etc, but I really don't want a money pit again.

Anyone else here have the same vehicle/experiences, and considerations? Curious how many miles you have and how trouble free, or not, it has been for you.

I appreciate any time you take to post thoughts.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about a lot of that other than hopefully it's a few simple quick fixes. But I do know that the Yukon's headlights are always on, they don't have a dedicated drl so whenever in gear, your headlights are on.

OP
OP
R

Rosko

Reaction score
I'm not sure about a lot of that other than hopefully it's a few simple quick fixes. But I do know that the Yukon's headlights are always on, they don't have a dedicated drl so whenever in gear, your headlights are on.

How it's supposed to work:
It actually does dim, but yes you are correct no dedicated DRL, it uses the same bulb. When it senses daylight, it will turn the dash lights on much brighter so they are visible in sun light, as well as the nav will turn white instead of black background. The headlights also dim, but they are still on. When it senses less light via the ambient sensor, it turns the headlights on brighter and the dash lights become controllable via the interior light dimmer, navigation turns black BG.

krzyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How it's supposed to work:
It actually does dim, but yes you are correct no dedicated DRL, it uses the same bulb. When it senses daylight, it will turn the dash lights on much brighter so they are visible in sun light, as well as the nav will turn white instead of black background. The headlights also dim, but they are still on. When it senses less light via the ambient sensor, it turns the headlights on brighter and the dash lights become controllable via the interior light dimmer, navigation turns black BG.
How dark is your tint?

OP
OP
R

Rosko

Reaction score
How dark is your tint?

Everything is factory. The windshield is not tinted which is where the ambient light sensor is located.

Another note: Just to test it out I've shined LED flashlights directly on the sensor when it's not working, and it still never turns the lights on, even with bright sunlight/flashlight on it etc. Then other days it works flawlessly...as expected.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sensors can go bad I believe.

OP
OP
R

Rosko

Reaction score
Hopefully after these little issues I won't have a lot more. I love the design/powertrain of the vehicles...just don't want to deal with the ongoing issues that sometimes crop up in GM electronics.

OP
OP
R

Rosko

Reaction score
Well I guess I'll probably keep it. Luckily the dealer is putting on a new power mirror today at no charge. They aren't able to reproduce the ambient light sensor problem though, sometimes it works, sometimes not. I ordered the stop lamp switch for $10 on amazon....hopefully will last some time now.

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ambient sensor is 13-15 install is simple BUT be extra careful due to thin dash and trim. I just broke my trim piece where sensor is located...oooouch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968