2012 Tahoe 127k can now hear a gear turning sound @ 25-40mph - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ILOVELONGISLAND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello

purchased 3 months ago, overall super clean had some issues , but now this ! When on a real smooth road
while coasting in the 25-40mph range, I can hear gears turning, as I slow down so do they........ Can someone here tell me whats happening ???

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello

purchased 3 months ago, overall super clean had some issues , but now this ! When on a real smooth road
while coasting in the 25-40mph range, I can hear gears turning, as I slow down so do they........ Can someone here tell me whats happening ???
could be lots of things, you might try recording a video of the sound as best you can and then upload it to youtube and post a link to the video here.
youtube is free to post video's on
preferable to make a video longer than a few seconds, if you only hear it at a certain speed try recording (all one video) before that speed, then while at the speed, then above that speed and back down to that speed again until you fully stop

OP
OP
I

ILOVELONGISLAND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
could be lots of things, you might try recording a video of the sound as best you can and then upload it to youtube and post a link to the video here.
youtube is free to post video's on
preferable to make a video longer than a few seconds, if you only hear it at a certain speed try recording (all one video) before that speed, then while at the speed, then above that speed and back down to that speed again until you fully stop
Its a very low level growling..... I called mechanic friend, he says it could be the hub bearing?? wishful thinking

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a very low level growling..... I called mechanic friend, he says it could be the hub bearing??
possibly, 127k is a little bit early for a hub but not unheard of. If you determine it is the hub it is recommended to do both sides at the same time because usually one follows the other....
best to use a good brand or oem. acdelco, timken, skf.
the cheap ones usually do not last, but sometimes we gotta go with what we can.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to your trusted mech, have them put the car up in the air on a lift, and 'drive' it GENTLY, til you figure out where the noise is coming from.

If, after 20min of this, you still have NO CLUE where the sound is coming from, check the front wheels.

OP
OP
I

ILOVELONGISLAND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you everyone...... Going to mechanics this morning... Hoping its just a hub bearing

will report what he finds here, thanks again

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone...... Going to mechanics this morning... Hoping its just a hub bearing

will report what he finds here, thanks again
I would also be curious there is any difference between 2wd and 4wd. But hub bearing is a good bet. I had to replace one on my 2012 at around 135K.

You might also check to see if the shop has a set of "chassis ears". They mount under the vehicle during a test drive to pinpoint sounds like this to the source.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the truck on a lift, and get the wheels in the air. Have 1 person in the truck and put it in gear and accelerate to the speed where the noise occurs. Then, a second person with a stethoscope goes under the truck and listens along the drivetrain and finds the source of the noise.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the truck on a lift, and get the wheels in the air. Have 1 person in the truck and put it in gear and accelerate to the speed where the noise occurs. Then, a second person with a stethoscope goes under the truck and listens along the drivetrain and finds the source of the noise.
Can't get this image out of my mind...

1724693431476.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925