2012 Tahoe needs a new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took it to auto shop due to p0300 code. Misfire. Today they called me and said it needs a new engine due to no compression? What does it mean? Like lifter things?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a bad lifter which means low compression. Or a cam that is toast and can mean low compression.

I'd ask how they came to that conclusion. What data can they show you, other than a code reader? Without more info, it sounds like a worse case jump to conclusions scenario with the highest profit margin

OP
OP
N

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok I will ask them about it tomorrow, like do I need Afm delete if so where can I find best Afm delete parts?

OP
OP
N

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe a bad lifter which means low compression. Or a cam that is toast and can mean low compression.

I'd ask how they came to that conclusion. What data can they show you, other than a code reader? Without more info, it sounds like a worse case jump to conclusions scenario with the highest profit margin
They said that there is no compression on 7 cylinder and they wouldn’t go deeply, just simple get a new engine. So I took it to different auto shop who can specialize to see if lifter, cam or valve is bad.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They said that there is no compression on 7 cylinder and they wouldn’t go deeply, just simple get a new engine. So I took it to different auto shop who can specialize to see if lifter, cam or valve is bad.

Good, maybe the new shop will diagnose it deeper. It could just be a valve staying open for some reason. The remedy for that is much different from needing a new engine.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling a valve cover is easy to do......don't need to pull a head. With the VC off, turn the motor by hand. It will tell if it's simple like @Fless mentioned. If it's not, then you have a decision to make.

How many miles on the truck? Is it in good shape and has maintenance been kept up? Is it rusty (salt state vehicle). These are questions I'd ask myself before determining how to proceed with an engine replacement.

OP
OP
N

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pulling a valve cover is easy to do......don't need to pull a head. With the VC off, turn the motor by hand. It will tell if it's simple like @Fless mentioned. If it's not, then you have a decision to make.

How many miles on the truck? Is it in good shape and has maintenance been kept up? Is it rusty (salt state vehicle). These are questions I'd ask myself before determining how to proceed with an engine replacement.
Dude, my suv arrived at my home via towing and I suddenly open the value cover and found out its value spring(itself) is loosing on cylinder 7 . Is that possibly problem?

about 80k miles on it and good maintenance.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, my suv arrived at my home via towing and I suddenly open the value cover and found out its value spring(itself) is loosing on cylinder 7 . Is that possibly problem?

about 80k miles on it and good maintenance.
What do you mean? Can you post a photo of what you are seeing so there's no misinterpretation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pknewcombe83

Latest posts