2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the camshaft out today but left the heads on for now. Posting a couple of pictures. All of the lobes have noticeable discoloration tracks on them, but the second lobe from the front, which I believe is the exhaust valve on the #2 cylinder, shows scoring. And the first and second lobe have enough of a track to catch a fingernail. Oddly, the track is actually higher than the area outside of where the lifter travels.

One thing I noticed (before I installed them) is that the rollers on the lifters that came with the camshaft are narrower than the rollers on the factory lifters. Less surface area doesn’t seem like a good thing for this type of application but I’ll hold judgement on that because I don’t know.

862a9b57e69898036df65cd5120af5a1.jpg
220bca139ec330feb594f8cafa44516f.jpg
c186d622927217160d75d45e4c692724.jpg

Last edited:

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had great luck with Johnson. I ran the 2116 linkbars in my G8 for 40k trouble free miles and the guy who bought my car has driven the shit out of it since then and hasn't had a single issue.

In the Yukon, I went with the dropins this time.

https://briantooleyracing.com/johnson-lifter-set-ls-slow-leakdown-2110.html

So far I've never once been let down with Cam Motion or Johnson. If you decide to start over and buy new cam/lifters, I highly recommend them.

Last edited:

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found this thread and had to catch up from the beginning. I realized later in the thread that this particular point is irrelevant now, but wanted to clarify for anyone else that may be reading.

@Snowbound: The "magic number of .0025" " is actually supposed to be .025" (twenty-five thousandths). It's a safe amount to shave for "free" across-the-board power. Since the machinist already has the heads set up for a cleaning pass, it doesn't take any more effort to shave them so there shouldn't be any additional cost, or very minimal at most. In an engine that should be running 91/93 in stock form, will be getting a cam that MIGHT cost a slight bit of low-end power and will be getting non-stock push rods due to the cam, it's one of those small no-brainer mods. Also, to clarify, the shave is to bump compression. The thinner head gaskets we also discussed is what was for tighter quench/better combustion.

Yup, been running .030" mill + .040" gasket and cars always ran great.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, no offense to you or your builder, but those lifters are likely junk. There's no quality in a lifter set that cheap. Not saying that's your issue, but I wouldn't run them long term.

I've had great luck with Johnson. I ran the 2116 linkbars in my G8 for 40k trouble free miles and the guy who bought my car has driven the shit out of it since then and hasn't had a single issue.

In the Yukon, I went with the dropins this time.

https://briantooleyracing.com/johnson-lifter-set-ls-slow-leakdown-2110.html

So far I've never once been let down with Cam Motion or Johnson. If you decide to start over and buy new cam/lifters, I highly recommend them.
I agree with you except those lifters were anything but cheap.

Edit: or so I thought! Those Johnson lifters are about 2.5 times as much, so that makes sense why they are so good. We will see what Roger says, and I’ll come back to the thread.

Thanks for the link. I may go that way!

Last edited:

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who makes the Vinci lifters? Are they just rebranded Morel?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who makes the Vinci lifters? Are they just rebranded Morel?
He didn’t say. Just Vinci. I know that he uses a pintle valve from Germany in it, but that’s all I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He didn’t say. Just Vinci. I know that he uses a pintle valve from Germany in it, but that’s all I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I edited my post, don't wanna drag anyone when we don't know the culprit yet.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rosun1