2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard from Roger this morning. He says he has cams with 100,000 miles on them that don’t look like this or have any detectable wear patterns. I believe him. In his opinion, this is classic lack of oiling issues, but even though the oil pressure was lower by about five psi than before the cam swap, it’s still well within spec for this engine. So I don’t know what to do next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just run the factory oil, you have a stock engine. On the oil pump, the color can be different depending on what brand the o-ring is. On Melling, the proper o-ring is green. What matters is the thickness. Trucks use the thicker o-ring.

What is your oil pressure at idle?
I’m sorry I never answered your question. Oil pressure is about 20 at idle warm, and 35 to 40 at higher RPM. Still a bit low, but within spec, I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another update from Roger this morning. He’s going to do some conferring with others and get back to me tomorrow. Something is going on here in both of our opinions with oil pressure and/or volume at the camshaft, and in my opinion it’s too early to suspect any issue with the parts that Roger sent.

I continue to be both impressed with and grateful for his ongoing support. He seems committed to working with me to resolve this together.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posted in wrong thread

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In doing some more thinking… It’s possible that when I installed the O-ring on the pick up tube, I seated it against the collar, and not against the flare in the tube. I’ve been doing some reading, and apparently that’s a common and costly mistake. I’ll know for sure when I get that blasted oil pan off again. :)

Last edited:

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on the price of the lifters theyre def just rebranded morel 6504. Tsp has those for exactly 170 too. I have them in my 5.3, they are fine. Hopefully its just your pickup tube o ring.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn Dave, just got caught up on the latest.

Hopefully you nail down the root cause of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LilithMoon