2013 Tahoe with thumping sound in right front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royalwapiti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was on a short trip to the other side of my state 400 miles away and noticed a thumping coming from the right front, only at slow speeds like 5-15mph. I assume the source of the thump is still there at high speed but just cannot distinguish it because it because it is happening too fast.

I am due for tires soon and wanted this fixed before getting them. I had a reliable shop check the front end for worn or loose parts. I assume they checked the ball joints, tierods, etc. They came back to me with nothing. Recommended an alignment. I passed on that until I know the thump is.

Is it a sign of the hub going out? I replaced the hubs on my Trailblazer but can't remember what the clues were to do so...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Could be a hub or loose lug nut or two. Could be brake caliper mount problems or brake pad moving around because hardware is bad/missing. Could even be the tire itself. If get tires do the alignment but that tech that recommended alignment was just looking for work because I bet the alignment was not going to fix the noise.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated above time to do your own detective work if you want to diy. Techs don’t usually turn down work (nothing wrong but alignment) so my 2 cents is the tire

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd or 4wd/awd? If 4 wheel, a failing CV joint can do that at low speed. I've had hub bearings growl in corners, quiet going straight, also had hub bearings, get loose due to internal failure, so going slow, when its going around, it hits a void spot and makes a pop or thud, when speed is up it floats over the bad spot due to inertia etc... I would jack up the front, spin that wheel and feel for any pop or grind or thud.... A failing shock would transmit alot of feel into truck and steering wheel. So think we can rule that out for the second.

SIDE NOTE:
If you have prankster friends, check your driveshaft/driveshafts? Big zip tie around one will drive you nuts... haha.

ALSO check front driveshaft if equipped. Sometimes a failing U joint can have vibrations even when not in use.

Also, make sure the tire doesn't have a tread separation starting...

OP
OP
Royalwapiti

Royalwapiti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks,

I am some things to look at. I will have it in my heated garage this week to put a rear window defogger tab on. I'll jack it up and spin tire to see if I hear anything. If not then rotate the tires. They are not quite ready for replacement yet, but it is winter, easier decision when snowy!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you have that corner up grab it at 6&12 then at 3&9 shake both ways and listen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustin Road