2015 GMC YUKON XL Tailgate Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello DetTigers,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your Tailgate. I would be happy to look into this issue for you. Please contact me via private message referencing this thread if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Griff75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anybody had this resolved yet?

We're still waiting on parts at the dealer. Jennifer T of GM customer care offered to make the appointment for us once the dealer calls me to tell me the part arrives. Not sure how that would help.

I asked about if they are helping share info between the dealers on this issue and have not gotten a response.

Maybe they're still reading these threads...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

GMJunky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, no resolution yet.
I'm expecting GM to do a lot more than what they are going to do for me.
This is ridiculous, I purchased this SUV to drive the family where they need to go. I did that for 4 days since purchase. I'm going to ask them to replace it with a silver or white ASAP.

samvons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had the same issue with my 15 Tahoe. I took it to the dealer for the recall with the transmission oil cooler connection. Four days later I finally get to pick it up. I went back to work and after it sat outside in the sun for a few hours; my tailgate would only open about 1/4 of the way and made a very loud popping noise. After several attempts to open the tailgate and it closed several times it finally opened. Back to the dealership I went. Of course, it would not replicate. After several attempts to replicate at the dealership, the service gentleman basically said I was crazy. The trim guy walked by and asked if I had a popping noise. Of course, I was thinking finally someone knows what I’m talking about. He stated that he had just got back from training and there was talk about this going to be happening due to a design flaw and there was no fix at the time. The service gentlemen said take it home and when they get a fix we will let you know. Two days later, I’m back at the dealership because it happened all weekend long and I was very aggravated (I didn’t think about videoing it). Long story short, after several calls to two different dealerships, they finally got the word from GM to take the shims out of the tailgate and this MAY fix the problem. The paint on the roof and spoiler were completely chipped off due to the rubbing. The dealership has had my vehicle for over a week fixing the problem and having it painted, twice. I’m beyond aggravated; they have had my vehicle longer than I have got to drive it.

ecanem

Reaction score
Just wondering if they gave you a loaner or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samvons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, but they were not going to give me one the first time I took it in. They said they would give me one if it they kept it over night and they would take to me where I needed to go. After telling them all the things I was going to do, they decided to give me one (11 truck that drank the gas), and then they ended keeping it longer, so I would've had to come back to get the loaner.

OP
OP
G

GMJunky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally, got her back today.
The resolution: a new spoiler. Basically GM shaved the spoiler and call it, the FIX.

Last edited:

samvons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's just nuts!!! You pay that much for a vehicle and to have this issue and they do that! I was told that they took the shims out and that MAY be the fix.

Finally, got her back today.
The resolution: a new spoiler. Basically GM shaved the spoiler and it is call it, the FIX.

Jasvan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My black 2015 SLT did it today. Is this happening mainly in black or dark colors? It was over 90 degrees today when it occurred and had sat in Target parking lot for a hour.

samvons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was told that it was dark ones because of the heat. Mine was in shop and they said they fixed the problem by removing the shims but yesterday mine did it again after sitting in sun all day. Mine is sable in color. Guess it's back to the dealer again, plus they have to fix the terrible paint job from the chipping of the paint on roof and spoiler from the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo