2015 Tahoe LTZ wiring meltdown.... beware ALL 2015+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCOLL5830

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, I had a retainer fail that holds large connector between Rt side body harness and rear bumper object detection harness fail. As a result, the harness and large connector dropped down and rested on the exhaust pipe (past muffler). Meltdown as you can see in pictures. Pulled rear bumper and changed rear harness (approx $150) and also learned that part of this problem is failure of the so-called "plastic welding" that Chevy uses to connect the rear outboard radar sensor modules (both sides) to the bumper. They use ("heat staking or ultrasonic welding" ??)... which when it fails pulls the whole harness down. (see pic #3) Sorry for marginal description... hopefully pictures explain better. I started to pull interior panels thinking I could change that harness myself ... but I moved all the way forward and discovered that harness goes all the way up and under the dashboard.. at that point I gave up. I didn't want to get into 'pulling' the dashboard to get to the other end of the harness. Took to dealer.. they wanted >$1000 for the harness and at least 6 hours labor. I asked about just changing the connecter. After 3 days of research, they came back and said the plastic connector is available for about $40,, but the pins that go into connector are out of production !! Really ??? So not dropping $1600-1700 on harness replacement.... going to the used parts market (junkyard) next. I can splice the connector if I can find a used one. Its a big connector, but only contains 12 wires. Anyone know of a reputable yard I could deal with ? I am in SE Michigan, but will work with any yard that will ship to me. Local "U-Pull" yard doesn't currently have that year/model. Not sure if this is common to 2016, 17, 18 ??? Hope you all don't experience this !! Of course rear detection not working, and rt side 'passing' indicator on rear view mirror not working.... but I can live with that for a while. Another example of nice features/additional electronics increasing complexity and causing problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I had a retainer fail that holds large connector between Rt side body harness and rear bumper object detection harness fail. As a result, the harness and large connector dropped down and rested on the exhaust pipe (past muffler). Meltdown as you can see in pictures. Pulled rear bumper and changed rear harness (approx $150) and also learned that part of this problem is failure of the so-called "plastic welding" that Chevy uses to connect the rear outboard radar sensor modules (both sides) to the bumper. They use ("heat staking or ultrasonic welding" ??)... which when it fails pulls the whole harness down. (see pic #3) Sorry for marginal description... hopefully pictures explain better. I started to pull interior panels thinking I could change that harness myself ... but I moved all the way forward and discovered that harness goes all the way up and under the dashboard.. at that point I gave up. I didn't want to get into 'pulling' the dashboard to get to the other end of the harness. Took to dealer.. they wanted >$1000 for the harness and at least 6 hours labor. I asked about just changing the connecter. After 3 days of research, they came back and said the plastic connector is available for about $40,, but the pins that go into connector are out of production !! Really ??? So not dropping $1600-1700 on harness replacement.... going to the used parts market (junkyard) next. I can splice the connector if I can find a used one. Its a big connector, but only contains 12 wires. Anyone know of a reputable yard I could deal with ? I am in SE Michigan, but will work with any yard that will ship to me. Local "U-Pull" yard doesn't currently have that year/model. Not sure if this is common to 2016, 17, 18 ??? Hope you all don't experience this !! Of course rear detection not working, and rt side 'passing' indicator on rear view mirror not working.... but I can live with that for a while. Another example of nice features/additional electronics increasing complexity and causing problems.
looks like you will need to replace both harness connectors pins are not a issue there are millions of them out there, check amazon all you need a basic idea of how long the pins are and the type and match some up you can buy hundreds of them for like $25 all day long
pins1.JPG

Platinumtier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
any update? Have the same exact problem but seems I caught it just in time as I have no warning lights on, and everything seems to be working but box is melted. Still want to fix it

Jake 2015 GMC Yuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2015 Yukon. It melted partially and i have several errors every time i start the car. If anyone solved this by splicing the wires together i'd love to hear suggestions and costs. Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2015 Yukon. It melted partially and i have several errors every time i start the car. If anyone solved this by splicing the wires together i'd love to hear suggestions and costs. Thanks
the connector is $40 as already noted above and pins are a dime a dozen also noted above,
not sure what else you are after here........ dealer repair price is given as well

my16tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Suggest you go to your friendly wrecking yard with some beer and ask them to do a computer search on the nationwide database for that part of the harness. If you want to buy the connector and the pins you need a special tool to insert them without doing damage. I use to mold connectors for GM's Delphi div, but I no longer have any connections with the engineers.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I have some investigating to do this weekend. I should be able to see if connected properly just by rolling underneath and inspecting or does anything need to be removed to inspect it? Not having any problems and hope to keep it this way…

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it appears that this may be a flaw in design by gm and after some time these things are breaking off (the plastic bracket portion) and dangling as I have seen 2-3 reports of the same thing happening
from the photos it looks like it is just plasti-welded on. It might be wise for others to find a way to secure the module better, I am going to be doing the wifes 2016 rear brakes soon so I will look at hers and see if there is some reasonably easy way to put a screw in it or something so it does not result in the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyBosnian