2015 Yukon Denali - Engine Failure - Sell or Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West 1

Reaction score
We are at a point where shops will not REPAIR engines anymore. They all look at even simple engine damage and tell you a NEW Engine is needed. In the shops defense repairing engine damage can be expensive first for the parts and again for all the necessary labor.

They like to install new engines for: 1. There is a known timeframe involved, pull out the old, install the new and customer leaves happy with brand new engine in a specified time frame and most come with a warranty. 2. IF the shop tries to repair the engine, some parts have to go out to the machine shop, the shop may fix them in 2 days or 3 weeks and that time is out of their control while your car is sitting broken in their shop, shops make money using their available space. A car waiting for parts for 2 weeks costs them money.

I understand the reason shops do this but in many cases the engines could be repaired. When I want a newer truck I try to find one of these damaged engines for sale. Buy it broken, fix it, and drive it for the next few years. But the knowledge how to fix them is necessary. On the West coast mechanics cost $160 per hour or more these days so time consuming repairs are just not done. Try and get a shop to chase an electrical problem today, most won't even consider the work.

2015Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's very hard to justify trying to repair a customers engine anymore. In my area (upstate NY) four machine shops that I have done business with it the last 8yrs have closed, the 2 left pick and choose what they want to do. Trying to write an estimate for repair is like looking into a crystal ball for answers, and no one wants to pay the additional 20-30hrs or more of labor on top of r&i to actually do a good job building an engine.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Well said. The truth hurts that motor rebuilding has almost become an obsolete craft. The crazy Mgmt MoFo’s at the dealerships will actually walk up to any serviceman talking to a customer and berate them saying “that’s what a service advisor is for”.

I still buy the guys who work on my vehicles lunch. When I was a service man in HVAC & Refrigeration there was a guy in a bakery that used to order me to sit down with a cup of coffee and have a pastry for 10 minutes.

There was another lady who used to do the same at a retirement home for the Masons. 30 years later, I still feel the value and respect of those individuals. It shaped who I am today.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... The truth hurts that motor rebuilding has almost become an obsolete craft ...
Motor rebuilding seems to want to relocate OUTSIDE of the mechanics' shops.
When you buy a rebuilt engine, it had to've been rebuilt somewhere - just not where it was pulled out.

Many transmission shops do pretty much the same today, at least here in NYC.
They won't rebuild yours, much quicker to just swap in an already rebuilt one, likely rebuilt somewhere else.

What scares me is, WHERE is the 'off-site' where these engines are being rebuilt?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
K’mawn ladies, we’re rebuilding engines today. No fighting over who gets a 6.2L! Form a line.
4BA0451A-3930-471E-BC0B-1A91C0CA5D55.gif

West 1

Reaction score
Contact the Production Engine Rebuilders Association, PERA, they can tell you where members reside in every state. The PERA members are typically shops that build over 100 engines per month. Jasper Engine is a big rebuilder but there are many more coast to coast still building engines.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact the Production Engine Remanufacturers Association, PERA, they can tell you where members reside in every state.
The PERA members are typically shops that build over 100 engines per month.
Jasper Engine is a big remanufacturer but there are many more coast to coast still building engines.

There's also the Automotive Engine Rebuilders Association.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyBosnian