2016 yukon xl transfer case issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rjnu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I just replaced my transfer case with a used one. It will not shift from 2hi to auto or 4 hi unless I put it into 4lo first then it will go into 4hi. If I go back into 2hi I have to once again put it in 4lo in order to get back into 4hi. Anyone have any ideas? It’s in a 2016 Yukon xl.

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Rjnu Moved you here from intro section.
Welcome from Miami!

2015Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a calibration procedure for the transfer case encoder motor that needs to be done with a scan tool. Do you know if that was done?

OP
OP
R

Rjnu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t have a scan tool but I found on another thread on here how to do it with out a scan tool. It seems to have worked I heard the noise from the actuator after I did this. Before I did this it wouldn’t even go into 4lo. Do you sometimes have to have the scan tool to do this properly?

2015Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never done it without a scan tool. There may be a code in there to help point you in the right direction of the procedure doesn't work.

OP
OP
R

Rjnu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unfortunately I only have a cheap OBD2 scanner here. If I can’t figure anything out might have to get my hands on a better scanner. I do hear the encoder motor when I switch it between modes but it is definitely not going into 4 wheel drive. I’m not getting any lights on or the service 4 wheel drive message either. Although that doesn’t mean that there is not a code in there.

OP
OP
R

Rjnu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The used transfer case never came with an encoder motor. They took the one off my old case and installed on the used one. Is it possible that they are out of time?

OP
OP
R

Rjnu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you know where I can find instructions on putting them back in time? I’ve been looking but can’t find anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beniskickbutt

Latest posts