2016 Yukon XL repairs for 100k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04pillows_artisan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all! I’m the original owner of a 2016 Yukon XL Denali. It just flipped 100k. I took it into our dealer because the tire pressure sensor needed to be reset. While there I asked them to do a once over on it and give me an estimate on anything that needed work. Here is the list. The estimate is like $8k+….. soooo…. before I have a bunch of work done, I thought I’d ask if anyone has had these done on their similar year Yukon. Or if anyone has other advice. Given there is so much and it’s so much money I’m doing a little homework. We’ve had very few problems with this vehicle. I take it in for the usual maintenance at a local place near me and am always on time with oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

Does this all sound reasonable for a vehicle of this age and mileage?

- New spark plugs
- Front struts are apparently shot and need to be replaced (didn’t notice but maybe I don’t know what I’m supposed to be noticing with the ride)
- Surge tank leak
- Oil pan leak
- Oil lines leaking
- Rear differential leak
- Water pump leak
- Brake fluid change
- Transmission service
No spark plugs 120k
front struts, maybe?
Oil pan leaks should not happen.
Change rear diff. I changed mine @40K
transmission service@ 40k
Brake flush with new pads.
You might need a water pump at 100k plus timing chain.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone here. I typically do spark plugs and all fluid changes when my vehicles hit 100k. Tranmission service 60ishk miles. But most fluids are easy if you follow youtube directions.

buckwild27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a technician (ASE) certified, can still be inept no matter who they work for............ the industry has a fairly high turnover rate
I could probably go pass the test right now without even studying and I am part idiot
Lol, I passed the ASE cert test for diesel mechanic on about an hr of sleep and pretty sure still hammered from the jungle juice party the night before. You for sure could past no problem.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No spark plugs 120k
front struts, maybe?
Oil pan leaks should not happen.
Change rear diff. I changed mine @40K
transmission service@ 40k
Brake flush with new pads.
You might need a water pump at 100k plus timing chain.

Oil pan leaks should not happen but you should change a water pump and timing chain just because at 100k?

OP
OP
mamalisa08

mamalisa08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all! I’m the original owner of a 2016 Yukon XL Denali. It just flipped 100k. I took it into our dealer because the tire pressure sensor needed to be reset. While there I asked them to do a once over on it and give me an estimate on anything that needed work. Here is the list. The estimate is like $8k+….. soooo…. before I have a bunch of work done, I thought I’d ask if anyone has had these done on their similar year Yukon. Or if anyone has other advice. Given there is so much and it’s so much money I’m doing a little homework. We’ve had very few problems with this vehicle. I take it in for the usual maintenance at a local place near me and am always on time with oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

Does this all sound reasonable for a vehicle of this age and mileage?

- New spark plugs
- Front struts are apparently shot and need to be replaced (didn’t notice but maybe I don’t know what I’m supposed to be noticing with the ride)
- Surge tank leak
- Oil pan leak
- Oil lines leaking
- Rear differential leak
- Water pump leak
- Brake fluid change
- Transmission service
Hello all! Here is an update because some of you asked and I need more advice. LOL. I went to the 2nd, locally owned place. Here's what they said:

- Coolant hose at bottom of tank is leaking and hose is soft; recommend immediate replacement.
- Rear air shocks are damaged and compressor is disconnected from them (Note: my vehicle was rear ended while parked a month after we bought it in 2016. There was $20k worth of work done to it and I wonder if this was never properly fixed during those repairs).
- Also saying front struts are leaking (again I don't notice anything with the ride; my dad says they're trying to make $$$ off me).
- Rear axle has oil seeping
- No signs of water pump leak

Re: shocks and struts: the guy suggested we consider a delete kit where we remove the air ride system and put in "standard" shocks and struts. Has anyone done this and how did it go? He is saying it's a much more cost effective move and will save us more money in the future. Thoughts on a delete kit?

Right now I'm leaning toward having them fix the coolant hose and dealing with the disconnected compressor. How important are the other leaks? Nothing drips onto the driveway at this time.

Finally - I do not have plans to replace this vehicle any time soon. I love it and try to take care of it. We have 4 kids at home and need a large vehicle. No interest in spending upwards of $100k to replace it and my husband is going to be upgrading his own truck soon so we need to spend $ on that, because we pay cash for our vehicles.

Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
mamalisa08

mamalisa08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The dealer gave you good advice on a red flag that it’s time for the major 100k service interval.

They also gave you the current market rate for dealership labor. Just WOW! That’s a little higher than our last Denali purchased in 06 and the second one in 14. We’re on the third iteration now and in an Escalade. Cracked surge tank / coolant reservoir will cause overheating and potentially loss of a perfect motor. Fix that asap!

Is your Denali 4WD or 2WD?
4WD

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Here is an update because some of you asked and I need more advice. LOL. I went to the 2nd, locally owned place. Here's what they said:

- Coolant hose at bottom of tank is leaking and hose is soft; recommend immediate replacement.
- Rear air shocks are damaged and compressor is disconnected from them (Note: my vehicle was rear ended while parked a month after we bought it in 2016. There was $20k worth of work done to it and I wonder if this was never properly fixed during those repairs).
- Also saying front struts are leaking (again I don't notice anything with the ride; my dad says they're trying to make $$$ off me).

Re: shocks and struts: the guy suggested we consider a delete kit where we remove the air ride system and put in "standard" shocks and struts. Has anyone done this and how did it go? He is saying it's a much more cost effective move and will save us more money in the future. Thoughts on a delete kit?

Right now I'm leaning toward having them fix the coolant hose and dealing with the disconnected compressor. How important are the other leaks? Nothing drips onto the driveway at this time.

Finally - I do not have plans to replace this vehicle any time soon. I love it and try to take care of it. We have 4 kids at home and need a large vehicle. No interest in spending upwards of $100k to replace it and my husband is going to be upgrading his own truck soon so we need to spend $ on that, because we pay cash for our vehicles.

Thanks for your help!
Sounds like a solid plan. Coolant recovery tank leaks are common in that spot. Your hypothesis on the rear air shocks sounds plausible.

Post a pic of the rear end "seep" and we can advise from there.

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deleting the Mag Ride isn’t necessarily a bad idea since these ride so bad with it but quality suspension parts aren’t cheap. Most places that recommend it use the cheapest junk and then it doesn’t ride nice. I would either recommend buy new OEM shocks with the correct part number from Rock Auto (the cheapest place to buy them but don’t use their catalog to look them up) or if you do decide to delete it, check out this web site:

I have never used them, but I like what I see. The kits they have put together look nice. I really want to try the Fox coilovers but I don’t want to lose my rear air suspension.

One thing to note, OEM GM suspension components have a lifetime warranty so if you buy the OEM shocks, you won’t have to buy them again.

Last edited:

jdwood1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your help!
Your plan sounds good. As others have recommended, please send pictures of your rear because if it has been "leaking" for a while you may want to have that changed as it could be a little low on oil. I would keep the stock suspension and replace with OEM from rockauto or Arnott as others on here have recommended as well. This way, the air suspension stays in which is good if your going to be loading up a decent amount. Just FYI, they are now around $270 or so each I believe but haven't looked them up in a bit.

Definitely do the hoses and such. I actually just changed out all my hoses and heater tees 2 weeks ago! If they are doing the hoses, I would ask them to look at those two heater hose tees at the firewall!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
4 kids. Why would a guy want you to add resistors made for home lighting projects to fool your stability system into thinking a potential rollover isn’t really happening so it can avoid it? That kit he’s referring to lowers resale and potentially makes it unable to sell or trade to a dealer. Why would they want to accept liability of a bypassed safety system?

Surge tank leak
- Oil pan leak
- Oil lines leaking
- Rear differential leak
- Water pump leak
- Brake fluid change
- Transmission service

Do the water pump & trans service ASAP. Also replace the carbon canister that’s know to pollute your entire fuel system when it fails ($125). Some labor & maint jobs on these 4WD / AWD trucks shakes hands.

The trans is removed for the 100k major service. It’s a $6-$8k part to replace if not maintained. Do the service! When the trans is out:

* the oil pan job goes from $4h to $1h.
* motor mounts from $9h to $4h.
* o ring on oil pump from $5h to $50 with doing the oil pan.
* front diff mounts from $5h to $2h
* Rear main seal $9h to $1h

Same goes for whatever oil lines are being referred to. Do *stuff ASAP during 100k major trans service. Missing it means those higher labor & repair items eat you alive. Properly addressed means another 100k trouble free miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtdelta