2017 Tahoe with very rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dksharp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have a 2017 tahoe with 155K miles on it. It began idling very rough a few weeks ago. It had bank 2 sensor 1 O2 sensor bad so I replaced it. Still not better. I ended up replacing all the spark plugs and wires. No change. Cleaned the MAS air sensor. No change. 3 mechanics have looked at it. Bank 1 sensor 1 O2 indicator was delayed so replaced that one. Chevrolet recommends changing motor mounts which are worn out. We will but not at this time. 3rd mechanic says there is a technical service bulletin that mentions a lifter issue and possible camshaft issues. This mechanic thinks one of the lobes is rounded on the cam and causing this issue. His recommendation is to trade it in. I personally think it is a vacuum leak. Does anyone have any feedback on this top or know the vacuum system well?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

BUCKSATH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The injector seals go bad on the L83/L86. The let air by causing a rough idle. This can feel worse if you have a bad driver side engine mount. The miles on your vehicle would tell me that both are possible. You’ll feel a clunk in the pedal from a stop that would tell you if you have a bad motor mount. The engine jiggle is most likely the injector seals.

OP
OP
D

dksharp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The injector seals go bad on the L83/L86. The let air by causing a rough idle. This can feel worse if you have a bad driver side engine mount. The miles on your vehicle would tell me that both are possible. You’ll feel a clunk in the pedal from a stop that would tell you if you have a bad motor mount. The engine jiggle is most likely the injector seals.
I will check these seals. You can check it like you are checking for a vacuum leak? The engine mounts are on our list to repair $1250. Would you recommend
replacing all the injectors?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing you might notice with a vacuum leak is that things smooth out at higher rpms. Get a scanner on it showing live data, and monitor the short- and long-term fuel trims. Do this test to rule out a simple issue with the fuel mix.

Document the trims at idle, then again at 1500-2000 rpm. A vacuum leak will show somewhat higher (positive) fuel trims at idle since the unmetered air is diluting the fuel delivery, and the ECM is trying to catch up by adding fuel. That's a lean condition. Raising the rpm will overcome the vacuum leak and the trims should come down.

This guy does a somewhat reasonable job of showing how it works:

Great fuel trims are within ±5% total (between -5 & +5) when the LT and ST trims for a given bank are added together. I would say that ±10% is a threshold that cries out for some attention. Of course there will be some variation but overall they need to be low for proper fueling.

You could also look at the MAF reading at idle, in g/sec (not lb/min); that should be close to the engine displacement. Consider an OE MAF replacement if it's somewhat off.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like you just need a better diagnostic, like a misfire graph and/or compression test that would probably tell you a little more
the fact that the mechanic says to "trade it in" means either it's something they could probably fix easily and flip it or they don't even want to deal with it.
injectors on some of these trucks have a extended warranty period under special coverage which you could check at the dealer with your vin.
in any case you are on the hook for diagnostic cost. It could be beneficial to invest in a decent scanner, for this scenario and any future ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skunkltz