2021 5.3L Tahoe Alternator voltage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West1

Reaction score
Those with a 2021 or newer, what’s your Alternator voltage w/engine on? From what I read, all the recent models share the same DC Delco brand, along with the AGM battery.

I’m at 13.6 and want to see if others have a similar number.

I’m starting to have electrical issues due to stock alt/battery and an added sub.

I’ve called the dealer and a few other mechanic shops to try and figure out if it’s my Alt or Battery going bad.

I purchased a ctek 7002 trickle charger and have been charging the battery on Snowflake mode. So far, my electrical seems normal since charging.

Ideally I would like to add a ** Alt but reading on the sensitivity of these new rigs makes me question my life’s choices Lol.

For that reason, Illl likely downgrade amp and replace the failing OEM part.

Antonm

Reaction score
Unfortunately it’s not as simple as what’s the running voltage. These newer cars have a “smart” alternator that turns itself off and on and changes its voltage depending on several factors/ sensor inputs, why does it do that,,,for fuel economy. Yeap another previously reliable system that’s been ruined in the name of CAFE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
CTEK is a good product. From my own experience with Delco Batteries, they are not to be trusted. not one last more than 15 months. AGM or regular wet cell from Interstate have been good to me over the last few years. I had a Wet Cell Die Hard top post in a BMW, that Died Hard at 11 months. Also kept alive by CTEK for 3 weeks before I cried uncle. Get the battery you have load tested.

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting about GM AGM batteries. I just replaced the original GM AGM battery in my FILs 2019 Regal, it lasted 5 years, like most batteries. I've had similar experience with other GM batteries. Maybe New York is harder on batteries than Arizona?

but like he said, you won't get much useful info about the condition of the battery or alternator by watching the volt meter in the dash. Good luck.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On our 2019 I've been studying that voltage regulation with a digital readout meter. Initial start up I see near 15 volts for a few minutes, then sometimes stays around 14.3 volts. On the highway after a couple miles it will drop to 13.7 volts for a good while. Sometimes it will drop to 12.7 volts for hours on a trip, occasionally do that on local drives too. That drop makes me a bit nervous which is why I've been watching it. This is reported to improve gas mileage by I mpg or so and extends battery life too. All this is dependent on a strong battery seems like. But with a weak or sulfated battery you see a high voltage for extended periods, or constant. I'm on our third battery, OE and replacement Delcos, and now a Walmart Everstart that works perfect. Had good luck with those batteries. Could be any added high current draw devices could upset this system?

OP
OP
W

West1

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped the alternator for a High Output Alt without having issues? I’d like to buy a stinger or mechman alt.

I do plan to swap my battery soon, I believe the ctek 7002 charger can be plugged in and hooked up to the battery wiring to trick the Tahoe into thinking the battery is still present… I need to read on this more as I was just scrolling through the instructions.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the smart chargers do need some resistance load to output any current. I'd hook up a small light bulb to the charger and see if it powers it. If so it probably will work for standby while changing the battery.

OP
OP
W

West1

Reaction score
Some of the smart chargers do need some resistance load to output any current. I'd hook up a small light bulb to the charger and see if it powers it. If so it probably will work for standby while changing the battery.
That’s a good idea!

Hollywood 2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On our 2019 I've been studying that voltage regulation with a digital readout meter. Initial start up I see near 15 volts for a few minutes, then sometimes stays around 14.3 volts. On the highway after a couple miles it will drop to 13.7 volts for a good while. Sometimes it will drop to 12.7 volts for hours on a trip, occasionally do that on local drives too. That drop makes me a bit nervous which is why I've been watching it. This is reported to improve gas mileage by I mpg or so and extends battery life too. All this is dependent on a strong battery seems like. But with a weak or sulfated battery you see a high voltage for extended periods, or constant. I'm on our third battery, OE and replacement Delcos, and now a Walmart Everstart that works perfect. Had good luck with those batteries. Could be any added high current draw devices could upset this system?
Just replaced the alternator for my 2007 Avalanche thinking the same as you. I finally bit the bullet and took it to a good mechanic and it's normal for the voltage to fluctuate. The ecm looks/ builds a history with the battery life to supposedly keep it lasting longer from not charginging it as agressively as the previous year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mallory0707