2022 Tahoe: Rear-end collision now issues with liftgate window. Anyone got a '22 to help me compare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 19 has to be slammed pretty firmly too - always makes me nervous to do that to a frameless window. I don't use the tailgate window much at all as a result.
I'll elaborate, I wish the window didn't open at all. Having that one central latch seems like a serious security weak point too.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll elaborate, I wish the window didn't open at all. Having that one central latch seems like a serious security weak point too.
I have always loved that the rear window opens. You can load significantly more cargo that way...and often if I have only one item to put in the back, I'll use the window vs. the liftgate. That said, I am 6'4", and have long arms. Wouldn't work for a person shorter in stature. As for the security, whether it be a latch or just a pane of glass, the security risk is the same, you will have to shatter the glass before you get that latch open...crook just going to use a window breaker either way.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always loved that the rear window opens. You can load significantly more cargo that way...and often if I have only one item to put in the back, I'll use the window vs. the liftgate. That said, I am 6'4", and have long arms. Wouldn't work for a person shorter in stature. As for the security, whether it be a latch or just a pane of glass, the security risk is the same, you will have to shatter the glass before you get that latch open...crook just going to use a window breaker either way.

I wonder if my window shattering concerns are valid. I could see use on our recent road trip where I had a loaded largo basket in the rear that prevented tailgate from opening. But I refused to use the window so far away from home!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if my window shattering concerns are valid. I could see use on our recent road trip where I had a loaded largo basket in the rear that prevented tailgate from opening. But I refused to use the window so far away from home!
It is pretty unlikely you would break it by using it as intended. You might break it if you closed it on to something, etc...but it is a pretty strong piece of tempered glass. I used the one on my 2013 several times a week for the entire 9 years I owned it. Just make sure when you close it, you are closing it "at the latch" by using that area as the push area. Never heard of anyone breaking this by using it as intended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jocooter