241k wear and where to go from here question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukonboy2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I've got a 2001 GMC Yukon 5.3 4x2 with 241k on the clock. Just recently, I have noticed that my oil pressure likes to stay around the 25-35 psi range, when its always sat at just under 40 (at idle). I'll get my oil changed sooner or later to verify that's not the problem, but the oil looks semi clear on the dipstick. Also, In the mornings too, it'll have a "knock" or a "tap" for a little while, but I understand that that is a common problem with higher mileage trucks. My question is, do you think the motor is too worn to put a Bb tune on her, with a level and 33" bfg T/A's? 3.73 stock gears shouldn't have trouble keeping up imo...just looking for second opinions before I dump the money for tunes and stuff, would rather not dump into a motor that is soon to be gone...thanks. :)

austinfranze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 2002 silverado with the 5.3. Had a cam headers cold air intake, duals, no cats, and a Dyno tune. Made about 400whp. All those parts were installed at 224k miles. Had 243k when I traded it for my tahoe. Oil pressure was still strong in mine though. The 5.3 will last forever if taken care of. I'd say get the low oil pressure an engine tapping checked out and run with what you were wanting to

OP
OP
Y

Yukonboy2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2002 silverado with the 5.3. Had a cam headers cold air intake, duals, no cats, and a Dyno tune. Made about 400whp. All those parts were installed at 224k miles. Had 243k when I traded it for my tahoe. Oil pressure was still strong in mine though. The 5.3 will last forever if taken care of. I'd say get the low oil pressure an engine tapping checked out and run with what you were wanting to
Thank you. Its what I figured, I guess Ill get it tuned up and go from there. Thank you.

dmperfection

Reaction score
I recommend a new oil pressure sending unit. Mine went out at 209k miles and understand they go out all the time. My oil pressure needle would quiver, drop to 30 psi at idle and peg at 80 psi when I gave it full throttle. New sending unit fixed my problem immediately.

MurdrNali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
^^^what he said id throw an oil pump in it and run it. 5.3's are some stout little motors and if taken care of will last a long time.

MABX13

Reaction score
These 5.3 engines are strong man . just have to figure the problem for that . ^^^

OP
OP
Y

Yukonboy2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^what he said id throw an oil pump in it and run it. 5.3's are some stout little motors and if taken care of will last a long time.

Alright, will do! Ill look into getting a new pump as well as the sender. Might as well change it all now. They have never been replaced before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbow555