4WD/Auto/2WD Feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does the Auto mode work?

Does it detect slippage on one of the wheels and engages front transfer case?

Just not sure why is there 2wd and Auto if you can drive in Auto which will be in 2wd and when is needed it will enable 4wd ?

Auto uses a little more gas as it creates a little more movement in the drivetrain. When not in auto the front differential is disconnected. In auto it is connected but not actually getting any power until the rest slips.

At least, that's my very rudimentary understanding of how the system works. If someone has a better understanding or I'm off base, let me know.

doba_s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Auto uses a little more gas as it creates a little more movement in the drivetrain. When not in auto the front differential is disconnected. In auto it is connected but not actually getting any power until the rest slips.

At least, that's my very rudimentary understanding of how the system works. If someone has a better understanding or I'm off base, let me know.

I had a Nissan GT-R before which is AWD when it detects slippage. The rest of the time it's RWD. It's basically the same idea as the Auto mode on the Yukon. I bet that gears are engaged electronically when stability control sends the signal. Transfer case probably has 2 speeds - passive and active. Not sure if it affects the gas mileage.

I think it should be more simple ... Auto - default mode 4WDH/4WDL - option.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After last update looks like they got it solve after the first snow in the hills i was in auto all the time without any problem.
And about the salt i have 3 moths pass in the car wash lol.
:hmmm2:

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it through this stuff in auto with no problems. tVCs5dN.jpg

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal.. I haven't had any issue with it either.

Hey.. just noticed U said U stopped before changing into AWD. U don't have to stop when going into AUTO or 4WD ^. Only time U have to stop is when going into 4WD LOW

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never bother stopping. Shift on the fly is where it's at. I've also never gotten stuck enough to need 4 LO.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015i Yukon Denali and today was my day to join the 4-wheel drive problem family-848 Miles<br />
Got up and hopped in to to work and went down the drivewy 35 feet turned left to go down the street and felt the steering jerk like it does when in 4 -wheel drive on pavement<br />
Pulled over and checked the position of the switch which was in 2 wheel drive<br />
Looked at the dash and saw service 4 wheel drive<br />
Drove a little and found it was truly in 4 -wheel drive high<br />
Made an appointment for Thursday<br />
I'll let you all know what happens<br/>

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

This guy post this in the 4wd Master thread. Good luck guys

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had this issue at all.. but sometimes while driving I notice a bit of a vibration.. like the wheels are not balanced. I put it in 4H while driving.. let it set in for a sec.. then switch it back to either AWD or 2WD and the vibration is gone. It did not start until after they did the RECALL on the transfer case which I had never had an issue with in the first place. I found this "solution" from reading about it happening with the Pick-Ups

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had this issue at all.. but sometimes while driving I notice a bit of a vibration.. like the wheels are not balanced. I put it in 4H while driving.. let it set in for a sec.. then switch it back to either AWD or 2WD and the vibration is gone. It did not start until after they did the RECALL on the transfer case which I had never had an issue with in the first place. I found this "solution" from reading about it happening with the Pick-Ups
Yes you are right is a funny vibration after you go back to 2wd gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimxms