4x4 switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcoffey24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 98 Tahoe with push button 4x4. The indicator light showing if you are in 2 hi or 4 hi doesn't always work. Its not really a problem for me because I can feel it shift but my wife has used 4 hi or 4x4 auto a few times and forgot to disengage it because the light only works sometimes. Anyone else have this problem? If so what did you do to fix it?

grnrpr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the bulb if it can be replaced or just replace the switch cant be much at the junk yard

wicked2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same. The problem with mine is the wiring. One of the wires controls that light bulb so it comes on when it wants to. I have to press the plastic around the button for it to make contact. Let me find out which wire it is and I will let you know

Devious_Tahoe96

Mr. Budwieser
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I wish they [chevy] would have just made all z71 & 4x4 shift engager. The problem isn't the buttons, its the wiring for it that is wack.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, mine's in the wiring too. Push it from the back and it works, let off it goes out. Anyone know which wire it is? I assume its a ground since none of the 4wd indicator lights work.

83 Bimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's most likely not the wiring, most likely it's the solder joints on the board. If you take the switch out and pop the front off you can look at the joints and should be able to see which ones are cracked

Last time I did this I believe it was in a group of 3 large joints and I just heated them up with the soldering iron to re-melt the solder and everything was fine, I've done this with two switches already.

There are two bulbs in there that are for the backlight, but the orange indicator lights are LEDs. If the backlight bulbs are burnt out you can actually go to radio shack and get some new bulbs but they have to be soldered back onto the board

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm almost positive mine is in the wiring. trouble is you have to have it plugged in to figure it out. What are the correct bulbs from Radio Shack? Do you have to desolder the 8 pins from the board to get the board to pop from its clip in mount?

83 Bimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recall the bulb number, I just found some that were 12v and about the same physical size and soldered them on.

You only have to remove the front of the switch, don't have to desolder the 8 pins, just inspect them closely, and the other 3 large pins that the small connector goes to. You should see some cracks. I just did another one today and works perfectly now

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbow555