5.3 Tick/Knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah good idea on the degreasing part will definitely do that.

Snake oil is in. Rislone engine treatment. No difference so far. So either the lifter is pretty collapsed or it’s an exhaust leak.

It runs good though so I think I’ll just ignore it for now.
my 03 silverado had a idle tick for 80,000+ miles, it would start ticking if left idling, but would stop with any rev, then come back after it sat idling for 10-15 seconds.
a couple times it went away for thousands of miles and then would return, sold it to my sister with like 274k or something like that she still drives it, no issue's last time I visited it wasn't ticking. go figure.........
oil pressure was solid, just never really dug into it I just left it that way as I wanted to throw a 6.0 in it anyway and figured if it died that would give me the reason to do it. lol

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 03 silverado had a idle tick for 80,000+ miles, it would start ticking if left idling, but would stop with any rev, then come back after it sat idling for 10-15 seconds.
a couple times it went away for thousands of miles and then would return, sold it to my sister with like 274k or something like that she still drives it, no issue's last time I visited it wasn't ticking. go figure.........
oil pressure was solid, just never really dug into it I just left it that way as I wanted to throw a 6.0 in it anyway and figured if it died that would give me the reason to do it. lol
So sounds like it should hopefully be fine lol. I think leaving it alone is the best I can do. And god forbid it blows for some reason there’s a million 5.3s out there that can be swapped in.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if they make an exhaust manifold clamp for the 2nd to back passenger bolt though? I can only find ones for the farthest back bolt to the firewall, center and front.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know if they make an exhaust manifold clamp for the 2nd to back passenger bolt though? I can only find ones for the farthest back bolt to the firewall, center and front.
I don't think so, if your lucky you could drill it and use a easy out
is it flush with the manifold? or broken off deeper?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah that sucks. And it seems to be pretty flush with the manifold. Heres a picture of it.

View attachment 439827
if you can get a drill in that spot you might get lucky, drill it and then wait until you get a pretty chilly morning at 4:30am and use a ratchet and extractor
if you spray it with a compressed air can real good first that will help make it cold as well. cold shrinks the metal.

mudpup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I have an 02 Suburban. 200k miles on the 5.3L.

Noticed today this tick/knock sound. What's this sound like to you? Lifter, rod, or exhaust leak?

I do have a broken exhaust manifold bolt right near where I'm hearing this from, but I can't help but think, "this doesn't really sound like an exhaust leak."

Whats your thoughts based on the video? You might need headphones to hear it.

Video:
cracked flywheel ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryme