5.3 Tick/Knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update here folks and not a good one.

Valve cover gaskets are in no problem. First day back to driving it, and I’ve lost 10psi of oil pressure today. Was 35-40psi at idle before and now I’m lucky to see 30psi.

I have a feeling the pickup tube oring is going bad.

0714156F-22E6-49F2-805B-2188DACBBC40.jpeg

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is plenty of oil pressure in my opinion. When you rev it are you over 50PSI ?

Didn't you say your engine has 200K miles ? If so you are in good shape for the miles.
When I rev im nowhere near 50psi. At 2k rpm I have 35psi, and 4k rpm I have like 40-50psi.

No where near where I think it should. I had an 05 tahoe with 160k at 4k rpm it had like 70-75psi of pressure, at idle 45psi and 2k rpm around 50-60psi.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is plenty of oil pressure in my opinion. When you rev it are you over 50PSI ?

Didn't you say your engine has 200K miles ? If so you are in good shape for the miles.
And also Im very concerned because, the pressure literally dropped 15psi today from what is has been at. So somethings wrong.

viven44

Reaction score
And also Im very concerned because, the pressure literally dropped 15psi today from what is has been at. So somethings wrong.
I would suspect the gauge as well on such a drastic drop.... what you have there I'm sure is no perfect gauge... on all my old trucks I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge installed.

If you are worried about that o-ring, by all means drop that pan and change it. No big deal.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suspect the gauge as well on such a drastic drop.... what you have there I'm sure is no perfect gauge... on all my old trucks I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge installed.

If you are worried about that o-ring, by all means drop that pan and change it. No big deal.
Yeah definitely going to replace it. The pan gasket is seeping anyways. Should just be an afternoon job. Not my first rodeo with that stupid job.

Lowering the front diff is the most annoying part lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barackgab