5.3 vortec is ticking at 70+ mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theianmcdougall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just recently purchased a 2001 tahoe with 140k

the truck runs/drives awesome but when i get on the interstate the motor starts ticking when i get to around 70 mph.

once i slow down to city driving the ticking sound goes away and the motor sounds normal

i feel like there is no point to bring it to the dealership because they wouldnt even be able to hear the sound unless they drove it 70 mph.

please help this new tahoe owner out

DESSKI

Reaction score
Mines has 114k miles and I religiously changed the oil and tune up stuff and got the ticking noise a few weeks ago. Thought it might be on the top end of the engine like a lifter or spring failure but it ended up being one of the pistons wristpin to the connecting rods. I will need a need new motor!

central4runner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My girlfriend has an 02 yukon and it does the same thing thing as the op. Hers has been doing it for about a year or so and only at 70+ like the op. if any body has any intel on this that would be sweet I was just gonna let it go and hope for the best and fix it when it grenades

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnk71