DFM disabler released

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m a beta tester, 100% worth it if you’re like me and the DFM causes noticeable lugging/vibration when maintaining speed or slight throttle tip in. I absolutely hate driveability with AFM/DFM on the v8’s. Wifes AFM on her v6 blazer on the other hand, don’t even notice it.

Install was very easy, not as easy as an OBD plug in, but super simple.

A couple questions:

1. Does it disable DFM at very low speeds like at a stop sign? I was reading on an AT4 forum that DFM is enabled at very slow speeds with the RA007 device.
2. Were you able to do the install without removing the tire? This is me just being lazy :)

Just ordered it from Range, but I was hoping you could shed some light on the two questions.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple questions:

1. Does it disable DFM at very low speeds like at a stop sign? I was reading on an AT4 forum that DFM is enabled at very slow speeds with the RA007 device.
2. Were you able to do the install without removing the tire? This is me just being lazy :)

Just ordered it from Range, but I was hoping you could shed some light on the two questions.
My beef with DFM is cruising and slight throttle tip in, that's when I notice the lugging/shuddering/vibration. The range disabler stops all that.

Without the disabler, when coasting down to a stop or braking, the DFM is enabled and with a louder exhaust you'll hear the DFM then disable at 14 MPH because you can hear the cylinders activate with the exhaust getting louder. At idle all 8 are firing.

With the disabler installed I still hear that happening. So I would agree, at least on my rig, that the DFM is not disabled when braking or coasting down to a stop but is disabled at all other times. I mentioned this to Range when testing and they said some behave this way and some don't. I'm again happy, that coast down and braking never bothered me in the least because I can't feel it, just hear it. But as far as 100% disabled at all times, at least on my rig, don't think it is.

On my Z71 with the 3" readylift I cranked the wheel all the way to the left, pulled back on the fender liner, and was able to install it.
With other trims it may be trickier if the fender liner sits lower than the Z71.
And the 3" lift gives more space.
But with all that said I think even stock non-Z71 it's probably doable this way, maybe just have to remove a couple of the fender liner screws.

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My beef with DFM is cruising and slight throttle tip in, that's when I notice the lugging/shuddering/vibration. The range disabler stops all that.

Without the disabler, when coasting down to a stop or braking, the DFM is enabled and with a louder exhaust you'll hear the DFM then disable at 14 MPH because you can hear the cylinders activate with the exhaust getting louder. At idle all 8 are firing.

With the disabler installed I still hear that happening. So I would agree, at least on my rig, that the DFM is not disabled when braking or coasting down to a stop but is disabled at all other times. I mentioned this to Range when testing and they said some behave this way and some don't. I'm again happy, that coast down and braking never bothered me in the least because I can't feel it, just hear it. But as far as 100% disabled at all times, at least on my rig, don't think it is.

On my Z71 with the 3" readylift I cranked the wheel all the way to the left, pulled back on the fender liner, and was able to install it.
With other trims it may be trickier if the fender liner sits lower than the Z71.
And the 3" lift gives more space.
But with all that said I think even stock non-Z71 it's probably doable this way, maybe just have to remove a couple of the fender liner screws.

Thanks! Yeah, I have the air suspension on the Denali, so I will try and put it in service mode (highest setting) to see if I can get it done w/o removing the tire.

Appreciate the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate