5.3L cylinder head. Which side should be normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There has been a coolant leak with this motor. Engine oil analysis report says coolant in motor oil.
This was my first though when I saw your first post. The left side is just too clean. Before going any further with taking things apart, do a coolant pressure test with the valve covers off. This should show where the water is getting in.

If it were a small crack, you would see the cleaned portion just beside the crack. Mine was a very slow leak, and the area cleaned was small, just around the bolt head:

Was there any other unusual wear according to the report? I suspect the coolant leak is/was quite big, and may have caused other internal damage.

OP
OP
W

wazzabie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This was my first though when I saw your first post. The left side is just too clean. Before going any further with taking things apart, do a coolant pressure test with the valve covers off. This should show where the water is getting in.

If it were a small crack, you would see the cleaned portion just beside the crack. Mine was a very slow leak, and the area cleaned was small, just around the bolt head:

Was there any other unusual wear according to the report? I suspect the coolant leak is/was quite big, and may have caused other internal damage.
High levels of lead and copper. So the coolant is eating the lower bearings. This is just in trace amounts. I caught it early. I read the orange coolant does not become milk like shake in engine oil. I'm using high millage synthetic engine oil. The motor oil looks normal when I drain it. I did a coolant pressure check with the valve covers off and did not see any water near the head bolts pool.

OP
OP
W

wazzabie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No noise and good oil pressure and no warning lights....should be good. Yes, pcv on left side. Please do not reuse the old v/c seals.
No noise, good oil pressure, no overheating, engine has never over heated on me, I do get low coolant light. The low coolant light is intermittent. The coolant usually stays about 1in below the reservoir line until I add more coolant. I replaced the coolant reservoir thinking it was the low coolant indicator switch but that was not an issue.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No noise, good oil pressure, no overheating, engine has never over heated on me, I do get low coolant light. The low coolant light is intermittent. The coolant usually stays about 1in below the reservoir line until I add more coolant. I replaced the coolant reservoir thinking it was the low coolant indicator switch but that was not an issue.
You need to pressure test the cooling system. If you have rear heat, you need to check the heater hose tees at the p/s firewall area and see if damp/wet and also check the weep hole on the water pump. Check the tank seals on the radiator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apx2ApxDriver