5/5 Drop while KEEPING stock Autoride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Chistoso for talkin to me and lettin me know it could be done, and thanks to Clean95 for pickin up my shock extenders!

Ok...so, my NEW DROP SHOCKS that I got with my drop kit are GARBAGE...it takes about 15lbs of pressure to collapse them completely...which is why my truck rode like SHIT....but

I put shock extenders on and installed my old Autoride shocks...which makes my truck ride just about like stock...

Also...I got instructions from Mcgaughy on how far to bend the Autoride links. I measured my sock links from eye to eye...and measured the example picture from eye to eye. the distance is shorter by 3/4 of an inch. This was meant for a 3 inch drop.

That means for every inch of drop, remove 1/4 inch off the link. I had some metal rod that I used for mine.

Originally, the Autoride link is 4 inches....with my 5 inch drop, I cut a new rod to measure 2 3/4 inches and installed the link ends back on....now I start my truck and the pump kicked on for a few seconds then turned off!

I'll have pics 2moro

btw...the back end doesnt bounce ANYMORE now and it rides SMOOOOOTH!!!!! :D

And no, it didnt lift the back end up AT ALL :)

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coo, ive been thinking about picking up some extenders and tryin out the factory shocks. post up them pics!

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet!!! wait til you put a few bodies or tow with it and the shocks raise it up to preweight height.. I love mine, it rides the same height regardless of just me in the Lade or full of people with a trailer being towed..

I did a full inch off the links which is about what I have, 4" rear drop..

Kleen97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah and your front end is still lower than clean 95 and hella lower than me cuz i can still fit my head inbetween my fender and tire. lmao

OP
OP
BlizzardX23

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet!!! wait til you put a few bodies or tow with it and the shocks raise it up to preweight height.. I love mine, it rides the same height regardless of just me in the Lade or full of people with a trailer being towed..

I did a full inch off the links which is about what I have, 4" rear drop..

yea, I love it....the ride is great now...it really did bring the back end back to stock comfort...thank a lot for all your help bro...I appreciate it!

lol...Kleen97...your shit is sick though...its kool to have someone on the opposite side of the suspension scale!

And I was watching you drive...your truck looks like it rides super smooth also...SPECIALLY compared to Clean's truck...his looks like those ricer civics with heated springs you see driving around hahaha

Kleen97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah i know he was bouncing all over the place and i don't think being lower means give up a smooth ride. Not bagging on him i am just stating my opinion but all of you alls trucks look sick too. oh yeah by the way, it does ride smooth so the next thing i need to do is work on my system in the beast.

05ukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks to Chistoso for talkin to me and lettin me know it could be done, and thanks to Clean95 for pickin up my shock extenders!

Ok...so, my NEW DROP SHOCKS that I got with my drop kit are GARBAGE...it takes about 15lbs of pressure to collapse them completely...which is why my truck rode like SHIT....but

I put shock extenders on and installed my old Autoride shocks...which makes my truck ride just about like stock...

Also...I got instructions from Mcgaughy on how far to bend the Autoride links. I measured my sock links from eye to eye...and measured the example picture from eye to eye. the distance is shorter by 3/4 of an inch. This was meant for a 3 inch drop.

That means for every inch of drop, remove 1/4 inch off the link. I had some metal rod that I used for mine.

Originally, the Autoride link is 4 inches....with my 5 inch drop, I cut a new rod to measure 2 3/4 inches and installed the link ends back on....now I start my truck and the pump kicked on for a few seconds then turned off!

I'll have pics 2moro

btw...the back end doesnt bounce ANYMORE now and it rides SMOOOOOTH!!!!! :D

And no, it didnt lift the back end up AT ALL :)

I'm having that problem with my 2/3 drop I cut the original sensor rod and now my compressor turns on and the back get a lift. You think you can hook me up with some of those links or tell me were you got them from? I need some links for a 2/3 drop

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
why not utilize the autoride till it goes out then you will want to convert back. the price on replacement compressor and oem Autoride shocks are expennsive.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
I would not recommend the stock shocks for anything past 2" of drop with keys/arms. Swapping from autoride shocks to bilsteins made my truck ride better and also allowed a true 5" drop in the back. For trucks with keys/spindles set at 4" I'd consider an alternative or at least some z71 bumpstops, 3/4 drop is fine on oem autorides with shock extensions tho. The drop on your denali is far out of range for those shocks and won't offer the ride quality of other trucks with correct length shocks. I learned first hand the negative effects of zero uptravel with too much drop and it resulted in me putting my truck into the ditch. Be safe out there guys :cheers:

ROB28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can any of you post up pics of the cut links or new ones were can i get them and how much are they??? irecently bought a drop a 3 /5.5 kit from djm but i have the rear airride dont know what to do next ??remove air ride??get shock extenders ??cut the rods??? what will ride better