6.0 Swap Time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Reaction score
Got the computer today, installed it, ran great for about 15 min before my transmission started overheating. How would putting a new computer in cause the trans to overheat? I didn't try to haul ass or drive it like a maniac, I'm at a loss here. The 4L60E is BRAND NEW.

UPDATE: My new transmission is fried. Metal dust and burnt fluid galore. It didn't do this until I swapped out the computer. Multiple test drives with the 5.3 computer, one for over 45 minutes, and the trans had no problems. a 15 minute drive with the new computer and my trans is nuked. I am absolutely livid.

I don't know if its something I did, or if the computer wasn't tuned correctly, so I'm not pointing any fingers. At this point, anything is possible. I'm leaning towards a damaged pump. I don't want to think that Blackbear did anything wrong here, given the engine ran perfectly.

I have the old and new transmission, between the two of them, I should be able to get something functional, but now I have to learn to rebuild a 4L60E.

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While not totally impossible for a tune to hurt a transmission, it would have to be so far off that you would know something was wrong and you would stop driving it.
Also if hard parts are broken, it is most likely a mechanical failure not a tune failure

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the computer today, installed it, ran great for about 15 min before my transmission started overheating. How would putting a new computer in cause the trans to overheat? I didn't try to haul ass or drive it like a maniac, I'm at a loss here. The 4L60E is BRAND NEW.

UPDATE: My new transmission is fried. Metal dust and burnt fluid galore. It didn't do this until I swapped out the computer. Multiple test drives with the 5.3 computer, one for over 45 minutes, and the trans had no problems. a 15 minute drive with the new computer and my trans is nuked. I am absolutely livid.

I don't know if its something I did, or if the computer wasn't tuned correctly, so I'm not pointing any fingers. At this point, anything is possible. I'm leaning towards a damaged pump. I don't want to think that Blackbear did anything wrong here, given the engine ran perfectly.

I have the old and new transmission, between the two of them, I should be able to get something functional, but now I have to learn to rebuild a 4L60E.
Sorry to hear that Brother.

Did you space the converter properly? It's not uncommon to destroy a transmission pump if the torque converter is not seated all the way in. Very costly mistake.

I like to put a straightedge across the transmission bellhousing and measure to the converter mounting pads. On a 4L80E this measurement is like 1 1/16", not sure if it's the same for a 4L60e? DO NOT go by the common Internet belief that there should be 3 clunks; sometimes that happens, but not always.

Time to start binge watching @NickTransmissions YT videos...

Please keep us updated.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear, man...Sucks.

@BlackBearPerf 's tune had nothing to do with it, PCM/TCM programming doesn't cause a mechanical melt-down as described. If your pan looks like the one below (Chrysler A904 pictured) with sand dunes of metal matter, it was the torque converter...

The transmission is brand new...Is the converter also brand new? If so, where did you source it from?

Is the transmission under warranty?

IMG_1641.jpeg

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

Reaction score
I bought both the transmission and the torque converter new from JEGS. I don't believe it was under a warranty.

I've already purchased a rebuild kit and have found a very in depth, step by step video from Dude We Can Fix It on youtube. If the pump is the only issue, I'll get another one and replace it, check for any other damage along the way and I'll have 2 working transmissions to get familiar with. I was pretty positive I had the torque converter seated properly. After checking everything out, the transmission was extremely hot, but the lines running to and from the cooler, and even the cooler itself, were cool to the touch. That's what leads me to believe the pump wasn't working.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought both the transmission and the torque converter new from JEGS. I don't believe it was under a warranty.

I've already purchased a rebuild kit and have found a very in depth, step by step video from Dude We Can Fix It on youtube. If the pump is the only issue, I'll get another one and replace it, check for any other damage along the way and I'll have 2 working transmissions to get familiar with. I was pretty positive I had the torque converter seated properly. After checking everything out, the transmission was extremely hot, but the lines running to and from the cooler, and even the cooler itself, were cool to the touch. That's what leads me to believe the pump wasn't working.

Sorry man hate to see you go through this. :mad: :console:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ok; odd that it has no warranty as most of their major powetrain components come with one.

I also have several 4L60E Youtube videos including a step by step rebuild series along with numerous high performance tips/pointers videos so another resource for you if you need it.

Good luck with the build; post back if you have questions or run into any problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beniskickbutt

Latest posts