6.2 Engine Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clay101

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I run purple farm fuel in my 6.2 might only get 14.2L/100km but not much worse then my duramax lol

my09denali

Reaction score
Does the sound go away after the transmission shifts? I think my truck does exactly what you describe under light load 30-50 mph but goes away once the transmission shifts. I never really noticed it until I had a tune done. Very well could be from the transmission.

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, only the aluminum block 6.2s recommend premium fuel. If yours has an iron block, you can use 87. Check your VIN code and the 8 th digit indicates which block you have.

I listened for the same noise in mine and just barely hear what you are describing. I think it's coming from the transmission.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Last edited:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, only the aluminum block 6.2s recommend premium fuel. If yours has an iron block, you can use 87. Check your VIN code and the 8 th digit indicates which block you have.

I listened for the same noise in mine and just barely hear what you are describing. I think it's coming from the transmission.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

You sure about that? Aluminum blocks were designed for car applications whereas iron block for truck applications IIRC. My truck has an iron block 6.2 and calls for premium fuel. You can use 87 on any of them, but you will get a ticking eventually. Premium fuel is only a recommendation.

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 owners manual references that premium fuel is only recommended for the Aluminum block 6.2. If you have the iron block, (VIN code F if I recall), then 87 octane is recommended.

I think the VIN code for the aluminum block is "2".

doubletapdrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's from the factory intake plenum. My dad's does it too. They designed it to quiet the intake sound but also makes a slight whistle.
If it bothers you a different intake tube like an airaid jr will get rid of it.