6.2L or Duramax reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't say you are going to tow, but if you are, get air suspension . There is no identified solution for squat on the premium suspension models.

It's kind of criminal the tow package doesn't include some kind of static air leveling, given they have all the parts.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't CO2 plant and tree food?
Of course, but as we lose flora through deforestation and our rate of fossil fuel use continues to grow, more carbon dioxide is introduced to the atmosphere than all of the plants can remove. It’s going to take some mechanical/chemical assistance, I believe. Fossil fuels remain too important to human life to stop the use of. So from a pragmatic standpoint, an engineering solution is needed.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course, but as we lose flora through deforestation and our rate of fossil fuel use continues to grow, more carbon dioxide is introduced to the atmosphere than all of the plants can remove. It’s going to take some mechanical/chemical assistance, I believe. Fossil fuels remain too important to human life to stop the use of. So from a pragmatic standpoint, an engineering solution is needed.
And of course, and engineer will make it WAY harder than it needs to be. Just look at some of the engineering they do for what should be simple repairs on cars.

Ex: On my Pontiac Aztek, they want you to drop the engine cradle a couple inches to replace an alternator. Backyard ingenuity found a simpler solution thou.

rswaug

Reaction score
If you go with the 6.2, just run premium gas and stay regular on oil changes. Most of the issues you’ll hear about stem from the owners not doing one or both. Most of the issues were also relegated or a run of late 21s and early 22s as well.

Ovrhdbryan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m having a hard time deciding if a Diesel is right for me, but a local dealer has a great one on the lot and it’s tempting. I only drive about 12 miles round trip to work and don’t really get over 45mph as its down the beach. Am I going to have issues with the diesel potentially not gettting up to temp on a regular basis? I can take the long way every so often, but that seems like an unnecessary inconvenience.

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12 miles is plenty to get the diesel up to temp. I routinely drive 5 miles most mornings with no problems in 18000 miles.

luvHarleys

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The babymax really doesn’t need the love old diesels may have needed l, although my diesels just required good maintenance - it’s just attention to require maintenance that should be done

Change the oi and filter @ 5k or 7.5k, and you’re solid - personally I chose 5k intervals. And, I’m planning on doing the fuel filter at 20k mI, we’ll in advance of schedule.

The babymax is a solid superior engine. It’s sneaky fast and a bit torquey - have to love how it just does what you want to do, even towing more than you every thought with a 1/2 ton.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It has likely been said before, but I am old and forgot. With the Duramax engine, is it an Allison transmission?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has likely been said before, but I am old and forgot. With the Duramax engine, is it an Allison transmission?
Nope - the Allison is only with the 6.6L Duramax in the HD trucks.

The 1/2 ton platform uses the GM 10L80 transmission behind the 3.0 Duramax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065