6L80 to 10L90 swap? Seeking insight on a 10 speed transmission upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forwards to the results.

A dude sweet on one of my daughters had a Ram with an 8-speed and the 5.7 Hemi. That truck would jump out in front of my 6.2 with 3.73 gears because of the steep gearing in the 8-speed. I would have had to put in 4.30 or steeper gears to compete.

I love the 6-speed but boy those 10-speeds allow the motors to get moving quick. This is probably why they are still running the same basic engine for 10 years now.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bloomfield, NJ * Lewes Beach, DE * Buenos Aires
I'm interested in the total cost of this when you get it done.

The turnkey swap, all inclusive, is $7500. I was supposed to drop it at the shop in TX this Monday, the 12th, but the shop it's currently in in Delaware dropped the ball and set me back a week. So my new date with Powertrain Swap Solutions is 08/19.

buckwild27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turnkey swap, all inclusive, is $7500. I was supposed to drop it at the shop in TX this Monday, the 12th, but the shop it's currently in in Delaware dropped the ball and set me back a week. So my new date with Powertrain Swap Solutions is 08/19.
That's not a bad price. Definitely let us know how you like it when you get it done. I'm looking at doing a L8T with the 10 speed swap on my truck.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking us on this journey with you. I will consider this for my 2012 XL Denali, based on your experiences.

West 1

Reaction score
If I was going to spend $7500 on a 10 speed swap I would find a much younger truck to put it in. I think you said your rig has 253,000 miles already? I would start with one young enough so I could enjoy the entire truck for many years with that new 10 speed installed. I installed a fully rebuilt 6L80 with rebuilt Techm for under $3500 but I did the installation. In my experience the entire truck wears out with high miles, not that most of those worn parts can't be replaced but it all adds up. I will take my lumps for stating this but I have gone the other way in the past and the high mile rigs never met my full expectations.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bloomfield, NJ * Lewes Beach, DE * Buenos Aires
If I was going to spend $7500 on a 10 speed swap I would find a much younger truck to put it in. I think you said your rig has 253,000 miles already? I would start with one young enough so I could enjoy the entire truck for many years with that new 10 speed installed. I installed a fully rebuilt 6L80 with rebuilt Techm for under $3500 but I did the installation. In my experience the entire truck wears out with high miles, not that most of those worn parts can't be replaced but it all adds up. I will take my lumps for stating this but I have gone the other way in the past and the high mile rigs never met my full expectations.

Totally fair. There have been some moments where I regretted going this route, but c’est la vie. I'm past the point of no return lol.

I'm actually in Texas now. I dropped off my Tahoe with Sean, the owner of Powertrain Swap Solutions, and got some video with him explaining his system. The swap should be finished by Tuesday afternoon and I'll be hitting the road back to NJ right away.

Now I'm looking for a shop to install long tube headers and maybe even a cam.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya once you get up in the high numbers it can take a toll, but there are a number of these out there with 300k+ and still going

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GourmetRealtor