70 amp alternator identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff O

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My belt was making nosie which a shop said was bad alternator. My Tahoe had 70 amp from factory. Suspect alterntor was not the problem, only the belt, and I think they might have replaced original with lower capacity. How can I tell what is now installed?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would help us to know what year, make, model, and engine you're driving. 70A seems kind of low for OE, and replacing with even lower is likely impossible.

Post a pic of your RPO codes from the glovebox. The OE alternator code is one of those and members here can decipher them.

Also post a pic of the current (pun intended) alternator; sometimes the amp rating is etched into the alternator housing.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would help us to know what year, make, model, and engine you're driving. 70A seems kind of low for OE, and replacing with even lower is likely impossible.

Post a pic of your RPO codes from the glovebox. The OE alternator code is one of those and members here can decipher them.

Also post a pic of the current (pun intended) alternator; sometimes the amp rating is etched into the alternator housing.
Yup, the amp output is almost always on the alternator housing. Depending on how its clocked in the bracket it will be visible form the top or slightly off to the left or right from the center of top. Most of the time it takes a damp paper towel to remove the grime so it can be read. But a wet finger and rubbing it will do! :p

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya 70amp is pretty much unheard of, the lowest I have ever seen is like 90a maybe, most of these trucks are 105a bare minimum 145a is common and 160a on the higher trims
usually the part number label gives it away
105.jpg

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya 70amp is pretty much unheard of, the lowest I have ever seen is like 90a maybe, most of these trucks are 105a bare minimum 145a is common and 160a on the higher trims
usually the part number label gives it away
View attachment 438952
You are absolutely correct concerning the amp values. The alternator pictured is either an aftermarket or rebuilt unit. GM didnt put stickered labels on the alternators of our generation. The amp output was always stamped into the housing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KMcrown

Latest posts