96 tahoe dying when put in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

64chevelle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My parents got a lower mileage tahoe from a dealer yesterday. Runs smooth no light on in dash as they replaced a 02 sensor...my mom took it to work last nice Said it runs smooth but this morning it died several times in a couple parking lots when she would back out or put in gear. She got it home and ran smooth down the road....any ideas????

OP
OP

64chevelle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also it was fine when my dad drove it home yesterday. And fine for her last night on her way to work. But when she got there and warmed up it acted up...only when she applies brake pressure to shift gears. Idles fine. She went out at midnight idled good drove around parking lot didn't do it...when she clocked out this morning it was fine drove it through town and stopped at a gas station it started to do it when she left there...again only when shifting gears with pedal depressed to shift...so it seems only when engine is warm. It also sat on the lot for a couple months maybe bad gas?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Need to get to basics. If no CEL then get a fuel pressure reading and make sure all is checked at top engine for vacuum leaks.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
when you start it cold does it idle faster then smoothly slow down as it gets warm after starter or does it kinda of get jagged steps when idling down.. Take out you fuel pump relay under the hood and check the terminals on it and on the socket and see if you have any burnt or corroded terminals as well. do you occasionally experience any stumble or sag under acceleration at all?

OP
OP

64chevelle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems to run smooth as a whistle when it's not acting up like I described I will ask bout the idle at cold

OP
OP

64chevelle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The ol man put in fresh fuel and seafoam seems to have gotten better he claims. He thinks maybe it idles a bit to low. Can you adjust the idle on a 96 or is it done by the computer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou