98 Tahoe sub install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LikeArock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking for a stealth sub install idea other than the under 2nd row box. I would like to do something on either side of the cargo area but didnt know if there were any premade boxes? Would like to do a single 12 or possibly 2 10's...Also need sub suggestions? lookin for a good all around sound...Any help would be appreciated.....oh 98 4dr w/tailgate

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Unless you remove the rear AC components, you're only option is to mount something on the driver side (jack storage area). It can definitely be done. I recently saw a pic on here (can't recall the name at the moment, and it wasn't a 99), that had boxes built into the sides with 15" subs mounted in them - 1 per side.

OP
OP
L

LikeArock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well my issue really isnt space but i like the hidden look....Plus it keeps thiefs away some what as long as i keep the volume down...I recently had a vehicle stolen and my neighbor had his work van broken into....I live in a somewhat rural area....But an alarm may help...duh....I am getting ready to purchase evrything from the head unit on down....I like the idea of a single sub but unsure of how it will sound in a large vehicle...So any advice on subs amps,head units etc is appreiciated.....Is soundstream still a good buy? I guess i am also looking both ways as far as 2 subs or single but i would like to keep some cargo space.....Also can you guys tell me what sub will go in the smallest enclosure and still have some boom to it? I know I am all over the place but I havent done an audio install in about 8yrs so i am excited to get the info and way the options....Again Thanks

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, you can do a good 5 channel amp, power doors both front and rear, and possibly do a single small sealed woofer in rear. Look for a woofer that works in small sealed. Then make the enclosure down firing, and make the woofer about 3-4" up off the ground. Carpet it, wrap it, heck paint it and if nobody see's the woofer, they may think twice about it. Yet sound good, and be hidden.

OP
OP
L

LikeArock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well, you can do a good 5 channel amp, power doors both front and rear, and possibly do a single small sealed woofer in rear. Look for a woofer that works in small sealed. Then make the enclosure down firing, and make the woofer about 3-4" up off the ground. Carpet it, wrap it, heck paint it and if nobody see's the woofer, they may think twice about it. Yet sound good, and be hidden.

Thats a great Idea....Will there be any less sound and should I build it on legs or just leave one side open....

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
build legs in all 4 corners to prop the box up, that 3-4" off the carpet. Actually, it will do pretty well....

drifter666

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you have made a speaker purchase yet but i would recommend some nice infinity kappas they are great. The price is a bit steep "IMO" at around $130 a pair but they are definitely worth the price.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wpQRd6TES8j/app/product/search/searchresults.aspx?search=infinity+kappa+speaker

One thing you can do If you don't wanna run the 5ch setup that blue flame was talking about is get a decent class D mono amp and when you run the remote is put a switch in series with the wire so you can switch your subs off when you want.

OP
OP
L

LikeArock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I purchased 1 Kicker 12" CVR....I have a ported box and I have a MTX Jack Hammer amp plus aPioneer DEH- 4100UB head unit and I allready have Pioneer's in the doors...How have I done so far?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachawn213