98 Tahoe sub install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k gee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, I would just do 2 10"s or 12"s firing down...that way the box can be against the backseats and blend into the carpet. Leave a few inches so the waves can escape and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
L

LikeArock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay I am gonna install an excallibur alarm this weekend w/ remote start.....I was wandering about box size right now i purchased a pre-made to get a feel for the sound...But will it be the same if i build a shallower enclosure but wider and use the same port size and dimension to scale as in my exsisting box....if that makes sense...Can anyone explain to me the overall difference in the solo-barics and the CVR?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as the box meets the manufactures guidelines.

The CVR and Solobaric (depending on which one) are totally different.

Do you have specs on the box you have now, and what amount of power do you plan to put dedicated to this sub?

OP
OP
L

LikeArock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was told today to go with a sealed box by a kicker salesman.....I am gonna send about 300 to 350 to the sub....So now i will be building a sealed box as it sounded alot tighter in the sealed box in the show room....It has me wanting 2 instead of one but I dont think i need that much bass....so I am gonna stick with the one with that said need to design a box and in hopes to give it that custom look and would like to use minimal space..But I dont want to sacrfice sound quality..The specs 1 ft3 min. to 4.6 max....So with a sealed box the type and dimensions known in these size vehicles which direction has the best sound or do you still recommend the down facing enclosure...I am putting another layer of 5% tint in back so there will be no way to see in plus the new secruity system has elminiated the need to hide the sub however I do have kids so protection is nessecary somewhat...So any suggestions with these items known?

OP
OP
L

LikeArock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sure, i'm familiar with the gear, which sub you going to use? Cvr 12"?

cvr 12".....But man I still am going back and forth on the single or dual 12's....It sounds good now and my mids and highs are keeping up VERY well its just the box now with the port has a full bass sound but misses on alot of frequnces and with port closed its tight and hits all the ranges well but doesnt seem to be as loud in the lower frequincies and it just makes me very curious to what a second sub in a sealed would sound like....But I aint sure i need to be throwin down the sounds like the young dudes ya know? I just want to get the best "BOOM" for my buck and have a nice install...Do ya think the enclosure will help get the sound I am looking for from the sub? or should I step up to a second....

Last edited:

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it's a custom box, it should be pretty decent across the board (ported). boxes can be very finicky about port length and diameter and air space. if it's a prefab box, you may not be getting as much out of your sub as you should be. sealed is a tried and true box style, hard to get it wrong. but ported boxes are more particular. not gonna say more difficult, necessarily, but you gotta be more precise. just my 2 cents. after having both sealed and ported, i think i'm always gonna have ported boxes. well constructed ported boxes are hard to beat. if you have the room for the air space that is... keep us posted

RobYates27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking for the same thing, I wanted something stealthy without losing the cargo space. To be honest, without custom building something yourself these are the only things I have found so far:

http://www.amazon.com/MTX-Thunderform-Unloaded-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B0002EVLSE%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIHSX7J5ILRZWV2YA%26tag%3Ddenhopmov-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0002EVLSE

http://www.supercrewsound.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=53&catId=15

Take a look and see if you could use either one or both. I was going to get both and upgrade all my door speakers and tweeters.

OP
OP
L

LikeArock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking for the same thing, I wanted something stealthy without losing the cargo space. To be honest, without custom building something yourself these are the only things I have found so far:

http://www.amazon.com/MTX-Thunderform-Unloaded-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B0002EVLSE%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIHSX7J5ILRZWV2YA%26tag%3Ddenhopmov-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0002EVLSE

http://www.supercrewsound.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=53&catId=15

Take a look and see if you could use either one or both. I was going to get both and upgrade all my door speakers and tweeters.

I have looked at both and opted to build an enclosure myself on the passenger side in the cargo area...Since I dont have the rear air there isnt anything behind that panel...I have started construction and will post my pics..I am using the truck somewhat as the back side of the box and with dynamat and spray foam and liquid nail its coming along well...I have been firing my sub directly into the space to test for rattles and so far I have none so I am starting to close it up....It isnt completely stealthy but it doesnt take from any cargo space....

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

On another note if your amp is 2ohm stable do you also wire the sub at 2ohm? i believe so but now i have over thought it and not sure.....If there is anyone that can help me with replacing the door speakers I would be greatfull as my rear pass. doors have literally no room to install my new pioneer premier D702c's...The fronts with a little spacing should work fine but the rears have a big hunk of metal behind them....looks to be a *****....

jmoretti13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking for the exact same thing for my 2dr tahoe... I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-9...506698?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item4aac7dd18a

and might go with it but it is JUST the enclosure for that! I was also thinking about sneaking 2 8" free air kicker 10c84's in the panel next to the back seat. Seems to have enough room for the sub to mount right in the panel but curious as to if it would cause a ton of rattles in the rear ashtray and cup holder... Anyone try to install free-air woofers in side panels before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachawn213