99 Tahoe Brake Upgrade Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade the front brakes on my Tahoe. There are several choices and I'm trying to get some reviews. Anyone used R1Concepts? Also, I've heard bad stuff about Powerslot. Any validity to that? What front brakes should I upgrade to?

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Slotted PoweSlot rotors
HAWK pads
SS brake lines

Curious to hear what you have heard about powerslot.

OP
OP
G

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just heard that the PowerSlots warp easily and quickly, and also they're made with cheap Chinese steel. Looking at a set of the Hawk HPS with the R1Concepts premium slotted (as I've heard bad things about cracking with cross-drilled). Anyone use the R1s? Also, looking at upgrading to stainless steel brake lines. Goodridge? Or another brand? And where's the best/cheapest place to buy?

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
There are many people who run Powerslots. And I am confident in saying that the positive reviews far outweigh the negatives.

I can't comment on the R1s but they seem to be quality rotors also.

For brake lines there is also Russell, a division of Edelbrock. And there also is a seller on ebay in Canada who sells them.

Shop around to find the cheapest place and alwayos look for courpons. I paid $318 shipped for Powerslot rotors, Hawk pads and Russell lines from SummitRacing.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
Slotted brakes are best for racing not everyday driving. They look nice and will work, but brakes work off friction and heat. Slotted brakes take to long to heat up when you REALLY need them to..Try checking out EBC brakes. Ive got the "green stuff" brakes on my truck now and they are best suited for a daily driver along with towing and hauling.... HUGE difference over stock...

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I've been very happy with my PowerSlots... definite improvement over stock and no warping. They're much heavier than the factory rotors - which are basically laminated to the hubs. The PowerSlots are solid for sure. They're definitely not the cheapest on the front end, but they are cheaper over the life of the rotor for sure.

Check out BuyBrakes...

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
i heard some good things about PowerSlots when i did my research...but haven't put together the order yet.

www.tirerack.com has some pretty good prices too...

OP
OP
G

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up going with the R1Concepts Premium slotted and Hawk HPS pads, and goodridge ss lines. I'll let you know the results when I get them mounted over spring break next week. Have to wait for R1 to send me a new rotor anyway because one of them had a small gouge in the inner corner (hub out) upon arrival. Should be in tomorrow.