A couple of n00b questions regarding AWD, and tire size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

florida boy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone I've been lurking for a while but just now decided to post. I have a couple questions.

How capable is the NON-Denali AWD system offroad? I'm pretty new to trucks so i'm just curious. I wouldn't mind getting into some mud or something.
Also- Right now I've got the 265-70-17s on stock wheels. I'd really like to go as big as I can before needing gears or a huge lift. I'm already planning on keys and spacers. I like the Nitto Trail Grapplers in a 295/70 or the 35x12.50 17s. I'll be keeping my stock wheels for now to save some money. Will they fit? I know Another member did it with 20 inch wheels. Does it make a huge difference with my 17s? I don't mind a little trimming of wheelwell plastic. Thanks a lot.

Here are some pics of my truck. So far all I've got is the K&N FIPK. Tune and leveling kit should be soon.

lotsofiphone071.jpg
iPhoneHolidays018.jpg
lotsofiphone069.jpg

Clemsonbloz

Reaction score
the awd systems aren't for the hard core offroading, the t-case looks teeny tiny, and you have an open rear diff..

I guess if you junked the running boards, install some skid plates, installed a locker in the rear,, it would be a step in the right direction.

Dylan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would forget the off road idea. AWD is best for the street. Throw in a better rear end and do some mild head work with a cam and intake/exhast/tune.

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it all depends on what you consider "off road"

one of the worst things about the AWD trucks (IMHO)
is the fact that they don't have Low Range

OP
OP
florida boy

florida boy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I'm probably just gonna put 285s on it and be done for the most part. I have another vehicle that needs much more attention unfortunately

Clemsonbloz

Reaction score
my AWD Hoe has low range..

A tahoe/yuke is just not made for offroading.. The suspension is designed for comfort, low ground clearence, ect..

Get a truck, and put a camper shell on it..lol

Yukon17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I fit 315/70 R17s BFG All terrains on just keys in the front. The front is a little higher than the back but truthfully I could have gotten away with no trimming. There was some slight rubbing in the front when in reverse and cutting the wheel so I trimmed some in the front. The biggest trimming was in the back but that should be fixed with spacers in the back. I would definitely put 315s as I think it looks ten times better than 285s or anything smaller

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshwas4here